Does adding another NLP make any sense?

Hi!
Does adding another NLP like https://f-droid.org/de/packages/org.fitchfamily.android.gsmlocation/ make any sense?
Either in that it helps getting a quicker/better/more reliable location fix or at least as contribution for the NLP getting better data?

Would be great if somebody who knows about this want to help making my smarter :slight_smile:
Thanks,
Max

I would say yes, depending on the backend.
The one you linked to I’ve been using on all of my ROMs for a long time.
Now that I’m using a couple of data-only SIMs on a couple of devices I"m not sure how to configure it with regards to what data (cell tower) it should collect.

Can’t say which backends really are doing the job but on any device/ROM I’ve had my location is pinpointed exactly. Sometimes even pointing to the part of the house I’m in.

There’s a new backend out there, a fork of Deja Vu, that can show nearby emitters (cell and wifi) for those who need that.

Local NLP Backend | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

I also have at least one WiFi backend, WiFi Location Service mostly.

I’ve found Deve / Local-GSM-Backend · GitLab very good and useful.
Of course, location accuracy depends on the number of cell-towers in sight.

Pros : Open-Source, detailed README, huge database.
Cons : have to create a free OpenCellID account, takes time & a considerable amount of network data to update (limited to 1/day).

Yep. That one I always have. Just have to make sure not to disrupt it when updating. A few times it would stop updating if I moved away to another app or something and would have to start again. Ugh.

I would have it narrow the data to the nation/MNC/MCC I was using to shorten the update time and database size. But with recent SIM changes I have to go back to letting it grab what it wants.

Tip: It saves the database under /sdcard/Android/data/{packagename}/…
If using a backup app make sure it also backs up external data or just manually copy it to a safe place. Restore or copy it back when setting up a new ROM or whatnot. Won’t have to create or update the database then.

1 Like