Does /e/OS work for snapdragon (USA) versions of Samsung s9 and s10e?

I recently purchased both the s9 and s10e with the intention of installing /e/OS on each. My models consist of the snapdragon version (USA) and I wish to be able to switch freely between carriers. Will /e/OS still work on these? Is there any chance of bricking the phones?
Please help.
Thanks
Uriah

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Hi @uriah welcome to the /e/ forum. Snapdragon, in Samsung, is generally a non candidate for /e/. The Supported devices page is specific about the supported model numbers – the letters at the end of the model are significant.

This Search of this forum, Snapdragon + USA + Samsung gives some ideas of what will and won’t work! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Depend of the device generation

s2 s3 s4 s5 are OK with snapdragon
s6 s7 s8 s9 s10 are not OK with snapdragon

In USA, better use Motorola or OnePlus, Xiaomi

1 Like

Please read this comment, with the link from XDA Developers Forum: Mint Mobile on /e/ vs Stock Android - #14 by egx470

It talks about how it will be nearly impossible to get VoLTE running on Samsungs with a custom ROM.

If you’re planning to use those Samsungs within the U.S., you won’t be able to make or receive calls, because 3G is shutting down across the country. (Unless you rely on a 3rd party application for calls and messaging.)

1 Like

wow. okay, really wish I had even realized that the USA had a different version of this phone before ordering, but sometimes we have to learn the hard way I suppose. Thank you so very much!

1 Like

Thanks! really appreciate the help. I do intend to use phones with better hardware so I will likely try to trade these for any of the ones you mentioned. namaste

1 Like

Sony is also a good, easy choice. Make sure you choose one that has an /e/ build (either official or unofficial - just search here in the forum), and which is known to support VoLTE on your carrier.

Even with no experience, I was able to easily install /e/ on my Sony, following instructions provided here. And Sony makes it super easy to unlock the bootloader.

2 Likes

Download the codenamed specific image of /e/OS

so the issue is with samsung, and not the snapdragon processor itself… correct?
it seems the Xiaomi Mi A2 (snapdragon) should be compatible with /e/OS, unless I am missing something…

1 Like

It is a “trade” thing! Why Exynos is not used by Samsung in the U.S. market ?

2 Likes

on US only recent Samsung models, you can’t unlock the bootloader to install a custom recovery manager and a custom OS

1 Like