Does VPN leak as described in MUL22-03 apply also to /e/OS?

I was recently made aware of the following VPN leak, where:

[Mullvad] concluded that Android sends connectivity checks outside the VPN tunnel. It does this every time the device connects to a WiFi network, even when the Block connections without VPN setting is enabled.

https://mullvad.net/blog/2022/10/10/android-leaks-connectivity-check-traffic/

Is this something that affects also /e/OS or are we safe from such Android (and iOS) shenanigans?

2 Likes

as the connectivity-check is enabled in /e/ too (it’s useful after all) it’s certainly affected. Mullvad links their docs how to disable it (adb shell settings put global captive_portal_mode 0)

Up the same alley (“connections outside the vpn”): the private-dns feature uses the non-vpn Connection for probing requests if dnsovertls is filtered. If a users wants to avoid this, the private-dns feature can’t be used as is, see this bug. I guess mullvad disables the private-dns and uses the network (read: vpn) supplied dns, though I haven’t checked docs on this.

I’m not very alarmed about both issues. What is leaking is hard to give an observer any additional knowledge or an arbitrary destination website to get your real IP if connecting through a vpn. It allows “denial of service” if endpoints are forbidden, but needs compliance of endpoints (Google, /e/) for any correlation advantage.

… such an de-anonymization attempt would require a quite sophisticated actor, most of our users are probably unlikely consider it a significant risk.

Connectivity checks are not a leak, they are used by most modern operating systems and have many valid uses as noted here: Google Issue Tracker

What would be your thoughts on the recently released Captive Portal Controller from MuntashirAkon (of App Mamager).

Full description is on his Telegram channel

and source is at GitHub - MuntashirAkon/CaptivePortalController: Control the captive portal in your Android device, stop phoning home.

Only saw it a few minutes ago, haven’t checked it out yet.

1 Like

it adds the missing GUI to connectivity checks, basically what you do with adb, but with suggestions

I’d be interested to hear from people who’ve tested and vetted it

As far as I understand, connectivity check occurs only when connecting to a WiFi network. I think a good start point might be to disable the phone WiFi when outside our home ? It will reduce the risk to give my location to the ISP of the shop I’m in or whatever.

Curious about something. In the past I’ve done a captive portal status check via the command line and it always returned null.
Now with the above mentioned app, installed on a few devices, the status is null on all of them. Are they supposed to be populated with some defaults 'cause I have nothing.
Different Android versions from 8 to 11.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.