Dutch Coronamelder app needs "current" G**gle Play Services

What a pessimistic attitude. We always have a choice … like this … or … like this …

On my Galaxy S7 with /e/ OS e-0.12-o-2020093076269-dev-herolte and subsequently integrated microG Services Core version 0.2.12.203315 several Corona Warn Apps work. For example from Unitied Kingdom: NHS Covid-19

Yes, the German Corona Warn App should work as well. How strange, Dutch authorities had it developed this way. Goes to show, how important it was that the German CCC did effective advocacy so the German version of the app was developed completely FOSS (apart from the framework, of course).

Yeah interesting. I’ve sent an email about this to Bits of Freedom - a privacy NGO. As far as I know they’ve had an advising role in regards to development.

Out of curiosity: do these apps interact with one another? Would a German app contact a Dutch app? In that case one could just install one of the apps that does work.

Yes, the German RKI Corona Warn App definitely works correctly with microG Services Core version 0.2.12.203315

But how would one update the microG? For as a beginner it says that the system apps cannot be updated?!

1 Like

Hi @BigFarb,
Counter question: Why do I set links?
Answer: To make it easier for the reader of my lines to get further information …

Once there, it can be helpful to read posting #12 as well.

We can’t. @SuzieQ has found a workaround that doesn’t work on a Fairphone 3 though.

That is where this dicussion originates. To use the current version of microG we are dependent on the /e/ team, however they found it advisable, to not just update microG but to find a so far secret solution that will only work starting the “end of october”.

I will be honest. It is a little dissapointing, after having waited for a month, with constant refreshing, thinking the update in question will come at any moment, just to be told that an API that I need for my work and where there is very little reason to belive it doing anything more that it is supposed to is delayed another month.

I undestand that the team wants to make everyone happy, however I for one am almost forced to find an alternative for now. Fortunately there is a working Lineage rom for FP3. Guess I will use it as a temporary solution, even though I am really not looking forward to setting up my entiere phone from scratch.

I am pretty sure that some folks here face a similar situation, and I do feel that /e/ has chosen the wrong path here, putting an in my opinion almost supersicious fear (which in latter comments I found increasingly paired with a complete denyal of COVID and it’s dangers) over the essential need of many. But it is not my choice to make.

For me, this delay is a goodbye. Hopefully a temporary one.

3 Likes

@SuzieQ What @DarthDavester said, I have a FP3 which apparantly does not allow the solution you mentioned under your provided link :confused:
Maybe I could have stated my device earlier though

I cannot test it myself due to the lack of device FP3.

I did, it causes a system failure.

A little update about Coronamelder: it does in fact work with microg, but one needs to turn on the location services. However, this is not indicated in the app so I had no clue. Nonetheless: good to know it works. Just not a big fan of always having my location services on.

To avoid any confusion: I am no longer running /e/ but Lineage 17.1 with microg installed. So I have got the latest version of microg but not via an /e/ update.

1 Like

I can imagine that the /e/ OS ROM for FP3 is based on GSI Treble files. The differences to LineageOS ROM aka /e/OS are striking.

1 Like

I have tried microG Services Core v0.2.12.203315 on several different Android devices. I tested original LineageOS for microG ROMs but also LineageOS "N"igthly versions as well as /e/ OS ROMs with subsequently installed microG Services Core v0.2.12.203315.

For all installations without exception the “Exposure Notifications” were set to “Off” by default. Only when an application explicitly asked for “Turn on Exposure Notifications” and confirmed with Tap on the button “Turn on”, the activation took place.

So if you don’t have a corresponding application on your phone, this function will not be activated and it will remain disabled.I am curious how the better solution will look like …

2 Likes

StopCovid France

Version 1.1.4.48 | 15.09.2020
« Let’s beat the coronavirus »

stopcovidfrance_eos012o_microgpatched2

stopcovidfrance_eos012o_microgpatched1

The french StopCovid warn app also works with microG Services Core version 0.2.12.203315.

Stopp Corona Austria

Version 2.0.4.1060-QA_248.1060 | 15.09.2020

New example …

eosmicrogpatched_stoppcoronaaustria

Austria’s Corona-Warning-App also works with microG Services Core version 0.2.12.203315 .

SwissCovid

Version 1.1.0.11000 | 25.09.2020

New example …

eosmicrogpatched_swisscovid - Kopie

eosmicrogpatched-swisscovid - Kopie

« SwissCovid breaks chains of infections » Corona-Warning-App also works with /e/ OS e-0.12-o- and microG Services Core version 0.2.12.203315 .

Aarogya Setu - India

Version 1.4.1.1057 | 06.07.2020

eosmicrogpatched_IndiaAarogyaSetu

NIC eGov Mobile Apps ‘Aarogya Setu’ requires the mobile number for activation…

1 Like

Note that StopCovid France does not rely on the GSF API

Update:

With MicroG’s ‘Exposure Notification API’ in ‘microG Services Core v0.2.12.203315 it works after all …

Dutch Coronamelder | UK NHS Covid-19 | Belgian Coronalert :: The apps are active.

» How to install unreleased version of MicroG GmsCore

Any update on this? It’s been over two weeks, and here in the UK the only alternative to contact tracing apps involves giving personal data to companies that will be selling them (https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/contact-tracing-data-harvested-from-pubs-and-restaurants-being-sold-on-s0d85mkrr), so having the NHS app (which requires the contact tracing APIs) is the only option to protect my privacy.
(especially as I can’t seem to be able to switch to vanilla LineageOS+microG since that doesn’t seem to exist for my FP3)

LOS 16 incl. microG exists for the FP3, see https://github.com/WeAreFairphone/android_device_fairphone_FP3/releases

The port is still UNOFFICIAL but on the way to becoming OFFICIAL.

You can find more information and user feedback in the fairphone forum at https://forum.fairphone.com/t/rom-unofficial-lineageos-16-0-for-fp3/59849?u=ingo

4 Likes

I can confirm that it works really good. I left /e/, as I lost faith in /e/, to be honest. Broken promise concerning microg implementation, unclear maps solution, …
With the help of https://www.kuketz-blog.de/android-ohne-google-take-back-control-teil1 (unfortunately in German only), I silenced my phone as much as possible and enjoy it.
Nevertheless, I wish /e/ all the best and think that it is a very valuable project.

1 Like

Right, sorry, I meant no official port; good news that it’s on its way to being official though, I’ll wait for that (and for microG to build on top of it), thanks!