Dynamic partitions in /e/OS?

I have bought a used FP3 with FPOS/Android 13 on it. I had TWRP wipe data and restored a TWRP backup, which I had made on another FP3 earlier (being the purpose of the purchase to have an identical spare device). My source device has /e/1.4 Q on it. I even did several factory resets from inside the /e/recovery in order to set the partitions right.

The bought phone seems to work properly, BUT: TWRP showed an error message, the infamous „Failed to mount ‘/product’ (Invalid argument)“ error message.

After a lot of research, it seems that FPOS 13 uses dynamic partitions.

I need to know now

1. does /e/ 1.5 and later use dynamic partitions as well?
  2. Is it viable to use the hint Unmap Super Devices in order to straighten out matters?

You need both device running a firmware based on the same android level to restore “as it was” using TWRP.
in your case : an Android 10 based FPOS

So i think you should

• install FPOS-10,
  • install /e/OS-Q (not sure it is necessary)
  • restore your backup,
  • then upgrade your device to /e/OS-S or /e/OS-T

Merci, Piero.
Will TWRP work properly on /e/ later than 1.5? I am referring to the dynamic partitions, which might cause problems and which apparently are implemented in FPOS 13.

I don’t know about dynamic partitions because i only use old/cheap devices.

I am referring to this problem.

so what TWRP version are you using ?
you may need @AnotherElk’s help.

1 Like

Don’t fixate too much on TWRP working.
/e/OS has its own recovery and couldn’t care less about TWRP working or not on FP3. Most FP3 users have a locked bootloader anyway.

If you want to make yourself heard with this, a better place should be over at the Fairphone forum, perhaps the TWRP maintainer for FP3 active there can help with a current TWRP test version (sure did help with decryption of the data partition a while ago, at least until Android 13 will most likely break it again) …

https://forum.fairphone.com/t/twrp-for-fairphone-3/56995

Else …

If you want to try the route with an older Fairphone OS, anything before Fairphone OS version 8901-4.A.0021.0 (Android 11) should be promising in this regard, because this version introduced dynamic partitions according to https://support.fairphone.com/hc/en-us/articles/360048139032 .

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.