E foundation version update 0.17 to 0.18 on GS290

Hello,

I am completely new to the /e/ foundation and got my Gigaset GS290 from the /e/ foundation, this week.

I have the os version 0.17 currently, and the phone is asking me if I would like to update to version 0.18 from August 2021.

Can I confidently say yes to the update without fearing that I will turn my brand new phone into a 200 euros doorstop? :slight_smile:

I was not very confident after reading this post:

I have zero experience with flashing phone roms / images. So I would like to avoid complicated manipulations, if possible.

Thank you,
Dan

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

No problem. Have it executed several times. Update from 0.17 to older 0.18 then the current 0.18 version and everything is OK.
Only manual installation and updates are sometimes very complicated

Hello Syntaxie,

No problem. Have it executed several times. Update from 0.17 to older 0.18 then the current 0.18 version and everything is OK

What are you calling : “manual installation and updates” ? Installing it on the Phone, from a PC?

I would be doing the update directly from the GS290 phone, without any PC or other software. So there is no risk in doing this?

Thanks,
Dan

Yes, exactly. Installing by PC I meant. Update OTA (over the air) is very easy and problem-free. But download takes a while, because it is practically always about 1 gigabyte

Hello,

I updated to version 0.18, directly on the phone. The update worked fine. :slight_smile:

Thank you for your help.
Dan

1 Like

Using the Update option on your phone when a new /e/ version becomes available means you won’t have to do any flashing/tech-y things.

As @Syntaxie mentioned, downloads can take some time if your connection is not fast. If so, you can let the phone download the update over night, and then in the morning just click to activate the install.

If your phone is your daily driver and you are worried about the off-chance that a new release will break something, you can wait a few days before doing the update, then check the forum, generally if there are serious issues someone will have posted about it by then.

Hi mike_from_ireland,

Yes I would like to use this phone, as my daily use device.
That is a good idea, I will wait a week, or so, after each update is available and ask around on the forum, before trying the update.

Thanks for the advice,
Dan