E is now installed on my phone!

After lots of messing around with the raspberry pi today, I now have /e/ installed on my nexus 5. So far, everything seems to have been set up properly, so I headed over to a prepaid phone store and took my unlocked phone in to get a SIM card.

Unfortunately, the sales clerk wasn’t able to activate the SIM. He also managed to crack the screen of my phone on the very top, and he couldn’t figure out how to access the SIM card (he first tried taking off the back cover for the battery…) so I can’t say if his inability to activate my phone was due to issues on his end, or if it had something to do with /e/. I was pretty angry about my phone screen, and what’s worse is that he totally tried to deny any wrong doing.

Anyhow, has anyone else had any issues with SIM cards not working properly? I tried entering a bunch of different Access Point Names information found on the carrier’s website while I was in the store, to no avail. I will contact the company soon to address the fact that the clerk cracked my screen, and hopefully I can also get someone who has a better idea as to how to activate a SIM card.

This is a nice feature!

2 Likes

Hi! Does your phone mention that it has a SIM card at least? Asking for a pin code maybe?

My phone knows that it has a SIM card, and it also knew the amount of data on the plan I was trying to purchase. It was saying “no cell service” (or something similar) when I tried to place a call. It did not ask for a pin.

I spoke with a rep at the store just now, and he’s going to be passing the situation on to the manager (regarding the rep cracking my screen). I will try again to install a SIM once they deal with the screen.

1 Like

Ok, please let us know.
I’m happy for you they are trying to fix your screen.

I have /e/ installed on a Nexus 5 too, have had no problem at all, everything just works.

1 Like

I got my phone to work! The carrier is one of those cheap pre-paid ones, so service is intermittent, but hey, the phone does make calls as well as sends and receives texts. It also transmits data via the provider’s network.

I had to run around to a bunch of stores to sort things out, and the broken screen is still an issue, but at least the service now works.

1 Like