/e/ on Fairphone 4

Well, he could certainly have mentioned that they had booted it successfully in development, and that public release would follow as soon as internal testing completes.

Commiserations to all /e/ staff who are now left with sweeping up the shards.

6 Likes

I look forward to this release. Ultimately I would like to buy mine from e, to support them.

For me having a Fairphone with a back up battery that I can quickly swap, will be a great combination.

2 Likes

What release do you plan to publish at first release directly?

/e/R builds v0.19?
/e/R builds v0.20?

Will the foundation give us a christmas present???

Did we get presents for major festivities of other world religions? Equal rights for everybody, /e/ is global :wink: .

yes, we did. why not…

2 Likes

Nice :smiley: Any link to download the OS and install it ? (like https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP4 for FP4 - actually it’s Info about Fairphone FP3/3+ - FP3 for FP3)
Thanks a lot for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Frankly, I think it’s a mistake to separately buy a Fairphone 4 and then install /e/ on it.
There are two reasons : one, installing /e/ is rather long and a bit complicated; two, by directly buying an /e/ Fairphone on the /e/ shop you help them with a couple of €.

1 Like

Maybe. But it’s too late for some of us who already have their phone. So I’ll gladly take the OS and installation process any time.

1 Like

I installed /e/ OS on my FP2 1,5 years ago. Now I got the FP4 (after waiting 2.5 months for it) – and of course I want to use the Fairphone 4 only with this OS :wink:

… so I have the same question: when will /e/ OS be available for download? This information or a general information about it is missing in the post.

All the best and best regards,
webaschtl

I already have a FP4. I also got a FP2 and FP3 (that died after contact of water :cry:) and installed /e/ on both of us. Furthermore, I also made French tutorials about it (Blog | La Francos'Fair) so I can handle the installation on myself and I hope I can share my knowledge to community :slight_smile: But yes, you’re right, unfortunately it doesn’t give money to /e/ team; maybe I’ll buy some more cloud to do that.

4 Likes

It is free, so you don’t have to pay for it

It’s free but it costs money to develop and maintain. And since the OS in itself is not a source of revenue, some of us want to give money to the project to make it go on.

11 Likes

You can always make a one-time or recurring donation to e-Foundation:

11 Likes

How can one not be ashamed to just write a sentence like that.
It’s free for you to TEST, and check the open source.

Then either the /e/ development continues to be paid by donations, or they will be bought by someone you don’t know, that will take decisions you don’t like (or even know).

‘surfing’ on pretexts like the quoted sentence doesn’t even mean you behave like a parasit : it just means you already have chosen the second option.

Given /e/ extreme dedication to independence and openness, this is an extremely sensitive point for me.

5 Likes

I wish they could give a trial version of e/os that could be unlocked for a fee.

I get angry with freeloaders. Try something for free by all means, none of us want to pay for something that is no good for us, but if you are happy with a product, pay for it! Developers, like us, have to eat!

With a well funded, os, we could have more features and a more polished product, everyone benefits.

Anyway, Happy Christmas to all who celebrate it.

2 Likes

From post i’ve read here and on mastodon it looks like somewhere mid january. Also they will be selling the FP4 from that time, so that seems like a good guess. Still a guess though

3 Likes

If you want faster development and more features - help /e/ to get a full time developer - support their Patreon goal and it will happen. Remember currently all the work /e/ do is done by unpaid volunteers:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.