/e/ on Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016 Exynos) SM-A310F “a3xeltexx”

The SM-A310F came with the last StockROM Android 7.0 July 2018 update with working FM radio including RDS function.

https://ecloud.global/s/MamKGyyTHd3YGTe

The operating system change to the current /e/ OS ROM e-o.7-o- was done without mistakes. The only thing I noticed is that the link to TWRP on the website /e/ documentation Install /e/ on a Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016 Exynos) - “a3xeltexx”

Installing a custom recovery

1. Download a custom recovery - you can download TWRP.

leads to this failure message:

Not Found
Page not found.
Try the devices page to look for another device.

TWRP for Samsung Galaxy A3 2016 (Exynos) Code Name: a3xelte ist verfügbar mit der Version wrp-3.3.0-0-a3xelte vom 2019-04-09 18:10:37 EDT.

But - in the first operation the long known bug appeared → “When I connect to my WLAN at home first time, the phone restarted endlessly, till I shut down wlan on the router.” Read more …

Neither a hardware nor software bug is the missing feature FM Radio RDS, which is known in several Samsung devices of the A-system family.

“The build script for all devices is the same so there is no reason the FM radio should be missing on a particular device.” Read more …

An explanation from @rhunault that I can understand: “Probably a value missing in the device config.”

I hope and wish that the /e/OS Build Team will integrate the FM Radio feature into the build until the relaunch of /e/ OS release v1. My request in this regard will be added to gitlab.e.foundation.

https://ecloud.global/s/8zj872ANn4eL6FJ

@Manoj’s test build /e/ OS ROM e-0.7-p-2020020439971-test-a3xelte.zip runs smoothly and without the just mentioned “WLAN bootlopp”. The feature anaolges FM Radio with RDS is unfortunately not (yet) integrated.

https://ecloud.global/s/5jxi2AZ7MzzxY4R

“Hello, we should soon be able to migrate from Oreo to Pie. That should probably solve the problem”.
Free translation by @archje

The “a3xeltex” has received four updates in the last four weeks. From the start, the Oero 8.1.0 build e-0.7-o-2020030443780-dev-a3xeltexx runs smoothly.

But as soon as the WLAN is switched on, the /e/ phone still enters a non-ending boot loop. Even a “Facory reset” did not have a positive effect. So the bug is not fixed yet.

https://ecloud.global/s/zNwngWpCtL93Gq9

The MuPDF reader has been replaced by Pdf Viewer Plus.

Unfortunately, FM Radio hasn’t yet found a place in the standard pre-installed apps.

Conclusion: unsatisfactory. Only the /e/ Build Team knows why this is so …

The FM Radio will be integrated if possible on the Official Pie builds for the a3xeltexx once we release it…hopefully in a months time.

The slim aluminum frame and the slim case (134.5 x 65.2 mm) with Gorilla Glass 4 on the front and back create a high-quality feel, making the only 7.3 mm thin and 132 g light “a3xeltexx” look noble as a 4.7-inch phone. The finish and transitions are clean and filigree. The SM-A310F “looks forward” to a working /e/ OS 9 pie.

Oero 8.1.0 on “a3xeltexx” works with pure LineageOS 15.1

I’ve now tried the last build of LOS 15.1 :: lineage-15.1-20190709-UNOFFICIAL-signed-a3xelte.zip

[UNOFFICIAL][a3xelte][SM-A310F]Lineage OS 15.1 for A3 2016

https://ecloud.global/s/GFtBN8j7xWs2pxX

There is no bootloop when WLAN is switched on!

Good news: The “a3xeltexx” is on way to the official /e/ OS 9-Pie version.

cool!!! s’il faut tester, ok pour moi!!!
Samsung Galaxy A3 2016 (Exynos) - a3xeltexx -> Pie

The Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016 Exynos) - “a3xelte(xx)” (Models: SM-A310F, SM-A310M, SM-A310Y and SM-A310N0) was newly added to the LineageOS 16.0 portfolio. Since March 2020 the first “Nightly” builds are available. Come on /e/ …

Intéressant !!! A défaut d’avoir /e/ je vais installer et tester ça …
merci :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Update e-0.9-o-2020043052057-dev-a3xeltexx

From the start, the Oero 8.1.0 build e-0.9-o-2020043052057-dev-a3xeltexx runs smoothly.

2020043052057-dev-a3xeltexx 2020043052057-dev_a3xeltexx
For the a3xeltexx everything remains as is.

hi @archje, So there is no Boot-loop anymore with Wifi switched on?

Hej @weichselbaumj, unfortunately, the listed issues are still not fixed. The FM radio is not implemented; still non-ending boot loop after switching on WLAN.

1 Like

ok, thanks. then we need to wait for the pie upgrade.

LineageOS-for-MicroG build lineage-16.0-20200514-microG-a3xelte runs like clockwork With additionally installed /e/ Apps Store /e/ Browser /e/ BlissLauncher /e/ Wallpaper /e/ OS feeling comes up. And even individualized private DNS provider hostname - it’s not /e/.

@archje is it possible to install the /e/ app store on a non-/e/ phone? I thought that was problematic?

i’m running this test build and it runs like a breeze

Well @Rik," this test build" is a /e/ OS ROM.That /e/ Apps Store “runs like a breeze” there is to be expected, right?!

The joke of the matter is that the /e/ components I mentioned work on a LineageOS 16.0 for microG ROM.This allows me to use the “a3xelte” with /e/ OS Feeking including Android security patch level May 5, 2020.

Below is the /e/ Apps Store in action on a LineageOS-16.0-for-microG ROM (in 13 pictures)

1 Like

cool! well that means that the devs have been able to separate the /e/ app store from the /e/ rom - that’s actually a big accomplishment!! (they used to be integrated)
It’s a really big plus to /e/ - now this app store can be put on Fdroid, for example, so that non-/e/ Android users can also enjoy the benefits of the /e/ app store
Would be good promo for /e/

1 Like

The e.foundation Apps Store works for me also under GrapheneOS (Android 10) and LineageOS 17.1 (Android 10) and Android 11 {R} Developer Preview 4.

1 Like

hee @archje, can you tell us where you downloaded the /e/ Apps Store, browser and launcher?