/e/ on Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) SM-A520F "a5y17lte"

/e/ on Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) SM-A520F ? Not at the moment!

The current problem: /e/ OS build for a5y17lte works with dev (7-nougat). Since May 2018 the SM-A520F receives StockROM Android 8.0.0 updates. The current build Android 8.0.0 A520FXXUCCSK1 is from November 2019.

Click on the .gif-link to see an eight picture animation.
https://ecloud.global/s/ZrPjGt2Z6EZ6ksG

Upgrades & Updatesare good thing in itself, but - Samsung has massively protected the bootloader against changes. That goes so far that after the update due to updates of the security guidelines, the old software can no longer be used (see also Biildanimation Figure #5).

What’s new?
● The security of your device has been improved.
●● After the update, you will no longer be able to use the old software due to security policy updates.

This makes it more difficult to switch to /e/ OS e-0.7-n- and increases the risk of a device brick.
=> Samsung A5 2017 - reboots instead of shutting down
=> Help installing /e/ on samsung Galaxy A5 (2017)
=> [UNOFFICIAL BUILD] Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) (a5y17lte)

I know the theoretical solution (StockROM Android 8.0.0 Firmware Downgrad to Android 7.0 with its Bootloader, Modem/Baseband update, TWRP Recorvery and /e/ OS install, but is the effort worth the risk? Isn’t it better to wait until the maintainers of the /e/OS Build Team release an upgrade to /e/OS 8-Oero or even /e/OS e-9-Pie?

The [UNOFFICIAL BUILD] Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) (a5y17lte) from @Unkown works, as two /e/ users confirm: “It’s ok with my phone” | “The oreo version is also ok for my phone

Switching from StockROM Android to /e/ OS requires above all uncomplicated builds with 9-pie]([UNOFFICIAL BUILD] Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) (a5y17lte) - #4 by archie) and 10-Q in the foreseeable future) and a well-functioning /e/ ecosystem service.

As soon as the installation of /e/OS on the Galaxy A5 ➅ 2017 is done, I will share my experiences here further.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Hi, since there is no easy/safe way to back to nougat bootloader/modem for A5, there is safer/better option - official lineageos 16.0 (android 9 - pie) for A5 2017…

as well as microg version… so, if you want to get rid of google just install:

if you want some apps from play store, you can install aurora store from fdroid and use an anonymous account to login… and you will get access to all play store apps
:slight_smile:

Hi @runarriot what you’re revealing here is already known to me. We don’t want LineageOS or LineageOS-for-mircoG and certainly no apps from the G°° Play Store, we want /e/ OS. /e/ OS 9-Pie will soon be available for the “a5y17lte”. I’m convinced of that.

The technical process of changing the operating system from StockROM 8.0.0 8 Oereo to /e/ OS e-0.7-n (7-Nougat) would appeal to me to confirm my theoretical knowledge. However, since the phone is not my property, I will not make an enemy of my friend.

The StockROM 8.0.0 with security lease 01 Nov. 2019 is as far as possible free of all pre-installed ballast. When the /e/ OS 9-Pie upgrade is released in the new year, the phone will be equipped with it. We can still wait that long.

Thanks!

I could not resist and curiosity & interest in the matter were greater. Although I didn’t install the official /e/ for a5y17lte dev (nougat) build, I installed two versions of different unofficial 8-Oreo and a 9-Pie build. The final result can be found → here.

Good news: The a5y17lte is on way to the official /e/ OS 9-pie version.

1 Like

I tried yesterday, but e-0.7-n(nougat)-2020031745615-dev-a5y17lte isn’t workable, if device SM-A520F comes witrh current StockROM Oreo 8.0.0 February 2020 Security Update.

Just to say my phone is yet on /e/ nougat 0.7 2020031745615 and work fine with /e/ since nov. 2018 !

Not on stockrom oreo … I think the stock ROM was nougat…

Well, only I mentioned that /e/ OS version e-0.7-n(nougat)-2020031745615-dev-a5y17lte coming from StockROM Oreo 8.0.0 February 2020 Security Update does not work on my “a5y17lte”. All the more the announced upgrade /e/ for a5y17lte dev (pie) is expected.

The /e/ OS 9 pie test build e-0.7-p-202003xxxxxxx-test-a5y17lte
unfortunately comes without the possible FM Radio app.

https://ecloud.global/s/TkTEM7cM6ppK2wn

RDS FM Radio | Samsung Galaxy A5 2017 a5y17lte | StockROM Android Oero 8.0.0

Does the stock ROM on the a5y17lte have a FM Radio?

Yes! Please see also → a5y17lte_FMRadio.jpg

And would you by any chance know if it is there in the lineage 16.0 ROM for this device. Checking as it would be weird if it is missing here as we do not change the build script for individual devices.

I definitely know:

LineageOS Wiki Info about a5y17lte : Peripherals = No FM Radio

Neither LineageOS 16.0 nor LineageOS-16.9-for-microG = No Radio App. This applies to various other Samsung devices of the A series!

→ Samsung original User manual, page 109
https://ecloud.global/s/qpMEAsLbcxAjgAC

GSMarena > Comms :: FM radio

→ androidpit de: Rare extra: an FM radio | Seltenes Extra: ein UKW-Radio

/e/ OS dev (9-Pie) available for Galaxy A5 (2017) SM-A520F “a5y17lte”

Download /e/ for a5y17lte

/e/ ROM latest dev build downloads

Please check MD5sum or SHA256sum after download.

e-0.7-p-2020033047438-dev-a5y17lte.zip [changelog | MD5 | SHA256]
e-0.7-n-2020032947313-dev-a5y17lte.zip [changelog | MD5 | SHA256]

Installation and build instructions can be found at our /e/ Documentation
2018, 2019, 2020 - e Foundation

Camera API (selectable)
➀ Original camera API
➋ Camera2 API

Changelog (shortened)

• e/os/android_packages_apps_FMRadio

**The new /e/ OS 9-Pie build is not the official build, still in testing ** Unfortunately it comes without an active analog FM radio app.

Update 02.04.2020

a5_2017

So you’ve tried install pie from initial /e/ nougat 0.7 or stock ROM ?

Which were your driver MoDem version (base band version) on nougat before the update, just to see if I’ve the same one or similar ?
Parameters/about phone/base band version near the build number in nougat

You’ve manage to call with pie ?

Thanks for your answer.

A good starting point for the right baseband/modem firmware is the region you live in. If I were you, I would upgrade to e-0.7-pie first. If everything fits, I don’t think it is absolutely necessary to install the latest bootloader/baseband firmware of Android Oreo 8.0.0. But it wouldn’t do any harm at all, except - you would then want to go back to StockROM 7.0 nougat. This is no longer possible, because Samsung wants it so.

StockROM Android 6.01 or 7.0 have never been installed on my “a5y17lte” - only StockROM Android 8.0.0 and LOS 15.1 or Lineage-16.0-for-microG. Please also read above again.

To check the /e/ test build e-0.7-p-2020031244891-test-a5y17lte, I flashed the latest StockROM Android 8.0.0 February 2020 update (MODEM/CP Version Region DBT - Germany).

Installing the official 1st Edition of e-0.7-p-2020033047438-dev-a5y17lte was uncomplicated to do via TeamWin - TWRP.

Yes, why wouldn’t I? After inserting the SIM card and rebooting the system, the mobile network was immediately recognized correctly and the access points (APNs) for Internet and phone were automatically set correctly. Accordingly, telephoning with 9-pie was no problem.

Next I will check all Bluetooth connections thoroughly.

For the call because of this old french thread/post : About base band problem experiment flashing

Otherwise Thank you for your anwser.

Recently flashed this device for elderly father. (Made him use /e/ :laughing:) His device was still on MM 6.0.1. So did as @archje did and flashed latest stock firmware available (Oreo) with odin. Then proceeded to flash /e/. The whole process with heimdall, TWRP all went super smooth and without problem (using ubuntu). Using the latest /e/ pie build ‘e-0.7-p-2020033047438-dev-a5y17lte’ and so far so good, everything works great.

1 Like

/e/ for a5y17lte dev (pie) e-0.8-p-2020041649926- now with Android security patch level April 5, 2020.
The recently integrated Pdf Viewer Plus is suddenly no longer pre-installed
The Pdf Viewer Plus icon is no longer on the home screen.

1 Like

Servus @Guenter. No, /e/ OS 9-pie is so robust, there are no problems - under normal circumstances. However, a “Clean install” has never done any harm either.

1 Like