/e/ on Samsung Galaxy S7 with android 8 Oreo

You can only upgrade manually to ‘stable’ e-Oreo if you have available a stable /e/OS ROM e-0.12-o-2020*-stable-herolte.zip.

Currently the ‘stable’ version is reserved for ePhones from the eShop. Since a few weeks @Manoj is checking if the ‘stable’ version can be made available to the public.

Thanks.
I currently have a refurbished Samsung S7 (sold by /e/) with latest OTA ROM /e/OS 0.11-2020083170819.
Still not sure what happens if I upgrade to Oreo…

This build is the ‘stable’ e-0.11-n(ougart) version from August 2020.

Each OTA update may cause failures. Unexpected problems may occur with each manual update. This is no different when upgrading to a higher OS version.

Therefore: Never be careless and make a backup of the most important data on an external medium before. A Nandroid backup with TWRP and backup of the files to an external storage medium is also helpful to get back to the previous OS version in case of problems.

I have been using the Oreo builds on my S7 for several weeks, and almost everything is fine.

However sometimes my phone freezes and reboots alone, I can’t tell exactly why and when. It generally occurs a few seconds after launching an app, but it is not always the same app.

Does someone encounter the same kind of problem?

1 Like

Hello @vlys

I’ve also been using Oreo on my S7 for several weeks now and I don’t encounter this type of problem.
There are two things that I have noticed. The first is that when I exit the Camera application, I get the following error: Espeak has stopped working. While this application is not installed on my S7.
The second, during the last update 0.12-2020093076269 OTA impossible to install it automatically. I had to download and install it manually with TWRP.
So for now I’m satisfied with it!

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Same problem with OTA: I had to update with TWRP.

No issues with the camera. I had more problems with it when I started to use /e/ on Nougat (end of 2019).

Hello,
Same problem with my refurbished S7e bought on the /e/ store. But I’m still with Nougat…

Other issue: sometimes accounts or app data disappear (Twitter, /e/ contacts…). I have to recreate them or log in again.

It’s a new system app used for Text To Speech.

Same problem with eSpeak when I launch some applications.

Thank you very much for your answer and proposition. If I decide to try to upgrade it to oreo 8.1.2 e-0.12 through twrp, does it mean that I will lose my data and configurations?
I’ve read on the documentation that upgrading require actions with a PC, is that true?

Also are there any news for an upgrade for the “stable” version?

If you perform a ‘Clean install’, which I recommend, then - yes!

Creating a backup before a system change is generally recommended. You can also synchronize your data with the /e/cloud. At /e/ anyone who wants to can get 1 GB of cloud storage for free. Take advantage of this offer. A newcomer can learn a lot of good things.

No external PC is required for a system upgrade. With TWRP Recovery 3.3.1-0 on your S7 this can be done relatively easily. Just clean up some partitions and install the current e*zip ROM with the TWRP command ‘Install’. Afterwards the system is set up again and the previously backed up personal data is restored.

No! The ‘stable’ version still remains on the build /e/ OS 0.11-20200831*. Also the ‘dev’ version remains on the level e-0.11-o-20200828*.

/e/ does a lot, unfortunately also to the disadvantage of the own likeness.

1 Like

According espeak. Had the same issue. Is the synth voice when you use for example navigation tools. I found following solution:
Badly translated since I use a german Version:
System - Languages and Input - Advanced - Text to speech output - preferred module switched From espeak to pico tts.

I tried to install e-0.12-o-20… and got the ERROR 7.
I think I made no mistake in following the instructions because of it worked without problems to install lineage-17.1.

What version of TWRP do you have installed on your device?

I have been using the Oreo dev build on my S7 for several weeks, and I have a very annoying problem: recurrent reboots! However I cannot be sure that this is directly linked to this build.

The phone started to reboot several times a day, but I was not able to identify if it was linked to a specific action or app. A few days ago, it started to reboot systematically after about 30s or 1min after startup (impossible to use)…
I thought I solved the problem with a cache wipe, but it came back after a while.

I finally decided to perform a full wipe of the phone. But first I backed up all the data (Boot, Recovery, System…) in TWRP with the idea to restore some app data.
After several hours using the phone and reinstalling apps, it seems that the issue is solved. But unfortunately as soon as I restore my data -only ‘Data (excl. storage)’- with TWRP the problem appears again.

I have no idea why these reboots occur: it is linked to the Oreo build? It is linked to a specific app? What could I do to investigate? Knowing that I have only 30 seconds before the phone reboots…

As you can reproduce the problem at will, maybe this link will help : https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/220174/record-log-before-device-reboots

1 Like

Hello, I am still experiencing recurrent reboots, after several cache/dalvik or full wipes, build updates…
I am now using the last 0.14 dev build for S7. Still no idea where it comes from (app, OS configuration…).

For the last weeks, I have been facing daily reboots, sometimes more. And this day, these reboots have become recurrent again (maybe 20 today). It occurs after 30, 20, 10 minutes of use, or even after 1 minutes and nothing running (SIM unlock pin not entered yet).

So I have generated a log with: adb logcat -b all

https://ecloud.global/s/gwYRQSe6wFLEoc5

Please could someone have a look to this log and try to find something that may explain the problem?

Thanks!

I noticed higher and inconsistent battery consumption on my S7. I’m getting reboots during charging, but that’s it.

Do you get them randomly or also during charging? Could your battery be weak and the higher consumption could cause the reboots because it fails to keep the voltage level?

I would say randomly. I don’t remember if it occurred during charging.

A hardware problem is a possibility, and as you say this could come from the battery. This is a refurbished phone I bought one year ago and I have no idea in which state the battery was when I got it. I need to charge it every night and it usually lasts until the evening, this is not impressive but not worse than my previous phones.