/e/ on Samsung Galaxy S8 can't reboot into TWRP

Hello,
I’m remotely assisting a friend who wants to install /e/ on her S8 (SM-G950F with Android 9). She’s using the easy installer.
The installer seems to be working fine until step 3 (see screenshot).

Here, when following the specific key presses we don’t end up rebooting into TWRP. After the first step, the charging icon ends up showing, and then we boot into the default recovery (Use volume up/down and power., Reboot system now, Reboot to bootloader, Apply update drom ADB, Apply update from SD card…)

Is there a step we’re doing wrong/missing ?
Thanks for your help !

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Hi, @Manoj

It’s typical with Samsung Devices !

Hi @ohemelaar

please retry from the beginning with the easy installer,
and at this step, try to use only
“volume down” and “power” : to turn off the phone first

Then reboot to recovery with “bixby” and “volume up” and “power”.

Thanks for your quick reply, we’ll try that again tomorrow and I’ll keep you posted.

Hi @piero I do not have a Samsung device to test this… Pl can you let me know what should the sequence of steps be like.
The developer had tested the Easy-Installer extensively on Samsung devices so if there is an extra instruction that needs to be added to the screens let me know and I can communicate it accordingly.

I suppose that devs are used to use the adb reboot recovery command

Experienced this also. After the first step (get out of download mode) you directly have yo move your fingers for the next step. If you are too late, the device reboots and removes the flashed twrp again.

1 Like

Yes, re-do the installation and once you are at this step again, as soon as the screen turns off move your finger from Volume down to Volume up to boot into TWRP. If you boot into the system, TWRP will be replaced by the default recovery and you will have to re-do the installation.

1 Like

To boot in TWRP the key combination is Volume UP + Power + Bixby

Yes, it’s a matter of finding the proper timing. I’ve experienced this on two different Samsung’s (not much forgiving phones as about timing) and on a Motorola, a much forgiving one

Hi @ohemelaar !
What is happen with your friend’s installation ?

Hi @piero, thanks for checking.

Unfortunately we’ve been pretty busy these last days so we didn’t have the time to try again yet. Maybe this week-end, I’ll keep you updated.

1 Like