E/os command line install issues on Teracube 2e 2021

I am trying to reinstall e/os Emerald on a 2021 Murena Teracube 2e, using the command line I can get it to the bootloader unlock screen, but when I push the volume button up on the device it says “unlock pass… returning to fastboot mode”. I don’t think it is unlocking because it doesn’t reboot like it says in the installation instructions, and when I try to run the second install command “fastboot format md_udc” I get this:

fastboot format md_udc

Invalid logical-block-size 512: must be a power of 2 and at least 4096.
mke2fs 1.45.5 (07-Jan-2020)
/tmp/TemporaryFile-BhlWQY: Unimplemented ext2 library function while setting up superblock
/usr/lib/android-sdk/platform-tools/mke2fs failed with status 1
mke2fs failed: 1
error: Cannot generate image for md_udc

Can anyone help solve this?

Thanks

1 Like

This came up here, although not on emerald, but on codename 2e (i.e. the 2020 2e) …

If emerald distinguishes between a fastboot mode and a fastbootd mode like 2e seems to do, then make sure the phone is in fastboot mode when running the fastboot commands.

On other devices this error message came up if the fastboot command was too old, mostly fastboot commands available in Linux distributions were affected.
What does fastboot --version say?
Compare with the fastboot command from the current Android SDK Platform Tools .

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I was looking through the forum and saw some others that seemingly installed without that command so I decided to proceed with the rest of the steps and the installation worked fine. Guess that command isn’t totally necessary.

2 Likes

thanks @AnotherElk - those are good insights about the software on Linux being an issue… though like @OpenSource1 I’ve been apparently OK moving on & ignoring the attempt to wipe that partition.

I’ve seen this error on the non-Murena Teracube 2e (emerald) as lately as a fresh install of /e/ version 1.5. I can’t test wiping that partition now again, but when I saw this error message at the last install it would have been using fastboot 1.8.

I’d never heard of the distinction between fastboot and fastbootd but I can see there’s some information here about how to tell which one you are using:

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/system/core/+/refs/heads/master/fastboot/

I’ll check both of these things next time I’m reimaging the phone & report back here… hopefully the thread will still be open :pray: