/e/OS on laptops, PinePhone

I think you should focus exclusively on the phone experience right now. We need a company that offers true competition to Apple and Google in the smartphone space.

The PinePhone… honestly seems expensive for what it is. 150€ and you get a huge display with low resolution, 16GB of internal storage (doesn’t allow much space for apps), 2GB of RAM when everyone is already at 3 or 4, cameras seem weak (but I’m neither familiar or interested in that) and the battery capacity is average.

One can get a significantly better phone for 150€.

Have to sort of agree there. The PinePhone is meant to be a Linux platform. It supports bootable SD cards so available distributions can run from them, getting around the way too small internal storage (unlike the PineBooks I don’t think the emmc can be swapped out for a larger one).
To me, I don’t see the upside to /e/ on the PinePhone. There are other, more capable, devices supported by the OS that can be had for about the same price.

That said, I do have a PinePhone on the way. Just because.

yes, you can get another more powerful of the shelf mobile device for this price, but you will hardly get any alternative, which is really as well documented and open source friendly than this pine products!

on this kind of hardware you can boot a nearly unmodified mainstream linux kernel and utilize operating system alternatives like postmarketOS, which are way more radical options to escape the android monoculture than /e/ will provide it by its approach to just modify the surface of a rather questionable base system.

1 Like