/e/OS on Samsung Galaxy J5 2017

I have removed the vendor/samsung line as it prevented the item from building - would it be the one to restore ?

Yes, I have seen, but this line includes the missing sources

add this lien and try repo sync one more
<project name="nailyk-fr/android_vendor_samsung_exynos7870-common" path="vendor/samsung/exynos7870-common" remote="github" revision="lineage-15.1" />

This error wouldn’t have happen with the roomservice.xml I gave above. Why you don’t use it ?

Because it complained about a duplicate vendor/samsung directory.

@Anonyme found the error in your roomservice.xml : a stupid missing slash !

Here’s the one, once corrected :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>
  <project name="nailyk-fr/android_device_samsung_j5y17lte" path="device/samsung/j5y17lte" remote="github" revision="lineage-15.1" />
  <project name="nailyk-fr/android_vendor_samsung" path="vendor/samsung/" remote="github" revision="lineage-15.1" />
  <project name="nailyk-fr/android_kernel_samsung_exynos7870" path="kernel/samsung/exynos7870" remote="github" revision="lineage-15.1" />
  <project name="nailyk-fr/android_hardware_samsung" path="hardware/samsung" remote="github" revision="lineage-15.1" />
  <project name="nailyk-fr/android_device_samsung_exynos7870-common" path="device/samsung/exynos7870-common" remote="github" revision="lineage-15.1" />
  <project name="nailyk-fr/android_hardware_samsung_slsi-cm_exynos" path="hardware/samsung_slsi-cm/exynos" remote="github" revision="lineage-15.1" />
  <project name="nailyk-fr/android_hardware_samsung_slsi-cm_exynos5" path="hardware/samsung_slsi-cm/exynos5" remote="github" revision="lineage-15.1" />
  <project name="nailyk-fr/android_hardware_samsung_slsi-cm_exynos7870" path="hardware/samsung_slsi-cm/exynos7870" remote="github" revision="lineage-15.1" />
  <project name="LineageOS/android_hardware_samsung_slsi-cm_openmax" path="hardware/samsung_slsi-cm/openmax" remote="github" revision="lineage-15.1" />
  <project name="LineageOS/android_packages_resources_devicesettings" path="packages/resources/devicesettings" remote="github" revision="lineage-15.1" />
</manifest>

Check line with vendor/samsung : actually without a trailing slash it breaks the build. With it things build !

Now waiting for compilation results. How do you think it will last on a Core i7 4790 w/ 32 GB RAM (compilation running on HDD)

I never put a slash here… Weird.

I guess this is because of relative paths and path matching. You need to have your stuff under vendor/samsung/ but the other repo is just stored under vendor. Silly things from time to time. I understand the trick because originally I fetched repo under vendor/samsung/exynos7870-common.

If I can build this image I will try again also with Lineage 16.0 (okay I’m a bit stubborn and probably over-optimistic but I guess it is worth trying) using this repo :

Anyway I must first have this image built and someone to test (I cannot take the risk of bricking my phone now, since I don’t have any replacement for it - my old J5 2015 is dead due to eMMC failure).

EDIT : bad news, build failed due to compilation failure. Build output is there :

https://del.dog/odunygreri

The error is :

net/Kconfig:80: can't open file "net/wireguard/Kconfig"

Any idea on were I can pick this file ?

have you checked the folder ??

Yes, there are plenty of Kconfig files but not one for Wireguard.

julien@pccorei7-4770:/mnt/miscvms/images/srv/e/src/OREO$ find . -name "Kconfig" | grep wireguard

Returns nothing.

I can attempt another build.

EDIT : my second attempt gives the same error. One question : what is the kernel used ? I see this error appears quite often against Kernel 4.19.xx - example there : https://github.com/armbian/build/issues/1278

could you pls do me a favor, stay at building your oreo build. This jumping forth and back is very contra productive.

I think this issue cause the issue
:warning: environment variable ANDROID_MAJOR_VERSION undefined

I prefer doing what @Anonyme has written some hours ago: first build for a supported device to check you build environment. Use the j5nlte for example. When build is finish successful your build environment is OK.

Okay I try this (did not switch forth and back - granted I won’t do it prior to building). I notify you of the result.

EDIT : trying against a5y17lte which is in Lineage tree (j5 are not).

And a5y17lte is for Exynos
cause /e/j5nlte is for Snapdragon

In term of hardware a5y17lte is very close to j5y17lte (CPU is exynos 7880 vs 7870 and other stuff, https://www.notebookcheck.net/7880-vs-7870-Octa_8474_8118.247596.0.html). However this does not mean the drivers are the same everywhere.

A5 has more RAM (3GB vs 2GB) and screen resolution is different.

Build for a5y17lte seems to work fine.

OK, I’m out. do what you want.
You should build ANY device which is eOS oero supported. It’s for testing !

But I’m out. I don’t have time for this

I’m just trying to compile for one device to check if my environment is correct. Then I’ll try again for my phone.

When I say “build for a517lte seems to work fine” I mean it compiles fine, but I won’t attempt to scratch my phone with it. Sorry for the misunderstanding. EDIT : it actually failed.

-> https://del.dog/emonucudyp.txt

This issue is quite common, and my personnal theory is that it comes from a lack of memory. So try to optimize your RAM, reboot your machine before launching the build and pray.

The issue with docker is that at the end, it cleans what has been done.
With the “manual” method I talked about above, it resumes where it failed.

Okay thanks. I will try again first and then keep you informed. If this fails I try what you suggest. On my 32 GB RAM I have 20 GB free for the build, wait and see.

I guess it’s not a problem of RAM then :yum: To solve this issue I moved from Ubuntu with a desktop environment (it was often freezing) to Debian without desktop environment (only command line) and it solved the issue, that’s why I thought it was a RAM problem.
I have only 6 GB of RAM.

Just for information I’ve checked hardware specs for J5 between 2015 and 2017 and they appear to be completely different beasts :

https://www.phonemore.com/compare/phones/samsung-galaxy-j5-sm-j500f-vs-samsung-galaxy-j5-2017-sm-j530fds/6451834

The CPU is Qualcomm on one side, Exynos on the other.

On the other hand A5 2017 and J5 2017 look quite similar (the main difference is on the software side, A5 has 64 bits Android and J5 has 32 bits Android - my wife has an A5) :

https://www.phonemore.com/compare/phones/samsung-galaxy-a5-2017-sm-a520fds-vs-samsung-galaxy-j5-2017-sm-j530fds/6452623

But basically both devices, A5 and J5, evolved from a Qualcomm CPU to an Exynos CPU. Another interesting point is that A5 2017 is in the official Lineage tree (no need for tweaking using roomservice.xml). All of these explain my attempts to build first for A5 to test the build process (I don’t want to brick my phone :smiley: )

EDIT : same jack-diagnose error. I’ll try to reboot tomorrow and check.