/e/OS' user interface is evolving with a new, streamlined, visual identity

great effort, I was looking forward to it.

Having flipped my hand through the interfaces: the visual similarity is comfortable for the mind. The criticism I can afford is: in a dual-tone interface it’s sometimes hard to identify areas of interactivity and more differentiation is needed, more mid-steps in gray. Similar to the flak microsoft saw for their first iterations on their Flat UI. Making deeper modifications can also make it hard to pull upstream changes.

If you don’t like this about /e/, you just need to install a different launcher. It’s a totally normal Android thing to do.

/e/ deliberately use their own Bliss launcher to simplify things for the supposed target audience, LineageOS deliberately use their own Trebuchet launcher.
If you could install Bliss on LineageOS, you would get the /e/ home screen experience on LineageOS.
If you would install Trebuchet on /e/, you would get the LineageOS homescreen experience on /e/, and you can indeed do this … https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/app-port-lineageos-15-1-trebuchet-laucher-for-any-rom-ver-8-1-0-22.3667436/.

There are tons of other launchers out there, too, which offer what you want.

https://community.e.foundation/search?q=launcher

And yes, I don’t use Bliss myself. I use Lawnchair. But I understand why Bliss exists.

LineageOS isn’t as de-googled as /e/, so there’s still that.

4 Likes

Just updated yesterday and i really like the new gallery design. But also waiting for the darkmode :slight_smile:

by the way, could it be that eOS is getting more and more a iOS UI ??

Nothing wrong with copying good UI. Apple spent loads of money to create good UI. BTW i like eUI better than iOS. That having said, i think the Bliss development takes way too long, still crappy moving around of icons, cant place them where you want… among other anoying things.

I am honestly amazed reading about your efforts on this while there are quite a number of annoying bugs not being fixed for quite a while.

1 Like

I use Nova Launcher. And I don’t understand why Bliss is there. Any ordinary user coming from a phone with stock ROM will expect more from a launcher than Bliss offers. So Trebuchet would be the least to offer in /e/.

3 Likes

I agree with a lot of the comments here regarding to, if you don’t like bliss launcher then you can simply change it, Of course I don’t mean to silence constructive criticism, open source projects rely on the community for feedback and development to improve applications. That is the great thing with it being open source.
Regarding launchers, it’s fun to try out new ones, KISS Launcher is great if you know what you want and what you have on your phone, it’s optimised for speed.
In defence of kiss launcher (which I am currently using, for now) /e/ is aimed at your average end user and is a fork of Lineage which requires more system knowledge. The style of Bliss is deliberately similar to that ios, familiarity is important as is having an /e/ identity, and being uncomplicated.
For example, I wouldn’t give my parents a phone with Lineage installed on it but I would with /e/ out of the box as it is can offer an experience as close to whatever manufacturer ROM they have installed (most people don’t run stock ROMs but whatever comes with their phone from the manufacturer) including stuff like contacts and photos sync if you sign in for the /e/ account.
I realised I have rambled a bit off topic here… :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Is it worth updating to 0.14, which is using this new UI ? As I read in the blog, not all apps have a dark theme. I don’t use many stock apps, only clock and calendar which have a dark mode, so I would be very pissed if I lost that (and the clock app is great I don’t want it to change!!).

Well… I’m not getting OTA upgrade to 0.14 for m’y s9+ (star2lte) running /e/os 0.13 on aosp 10 (q). Is this expected ?

you are running eOS on AOSP ?!?!? could you please explain. eOS is a fork of LOS and LOS is a fork of AOSP. So what do you mean ??

Well. I juste mean I use eos version 0.13 based on LineageOS 17 and thus AOSP 10 (q). But I thought eos 0.14 was out and was somehow expecting an OTA upgrade to pop up after upgrading from Oreo 0.13 to 0.13 q.

This https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/2486 is the “new, streamlined, visual identity”. I totally disapprove the start of a beautification project and thus adding new bugs before the many bugs are removed that are already there.

4 Likes

Let’s face it, the “new, streamlined, visual identity” is just a copy of iOS, but mixed with android so it is just awful. I don’t know why they would do that, yes at some point system apps will have a common theme, but it will be so different from all other Android apps which follow Android design guidelines. We will end up with a Huawei like UI, which is ugly and stands out from the rest of the app ecosystem.

Their goal is to make a system easy to use for non tech people, so they chose to remake iOS. But I don’t see when did iOS become easier to use than Android, it is very subjective.

I just hope they never touch system settings and clock as these are the only default apps I use.

2 Likes

Totally agree. They are wasting developer resources which are need for removing bugs.

2 Likes

Hi,
I do not have a strong opinion about the interface itself … But, just to share a couple of thoughts:

• I agree with those who suggest that if the interface does not suit somebody, they can try another launcher.
  • Nevertheless, if the team has judged that an appealing interface would make it possible to have a viable and sustainable project thanks to a larger adoption, that is understandable and perfectly fine by me (as I value what is behind the interface, and, since that part was provided free of charge, I respect the choices of the team). And, as I am not up to the task of developing anything of a mobile OS or designing an interface, I prefer to leave them to the team, and supporting them in order to have their vision come true.
6 Likes

Totally disagree, yes it looks like iOS for a reason, it’s the better UI. Apple spent loads of money to find the best user experience, why not use it.

2 Likes

This is completely subjective. I do not find apple UI better, each has their own opinion. The problem is, you either go full apple and use their ui for everything, or not. In iOS, most apps have a native look and feel, this is what makes the platform so appealing. Here, only system apps will use this kind of ui, and the others will use Android design. It create a gap and every app you will install will feel out of place. This is the main reason I dislike this choice.

4 Likes

I think this is an interesting article given the topic here:

2 Likes

Well, if it doesn’t have more satisfactory hobbies :slight_smile: .