/e/ smartphones

It says on the roadmap that smartphones pre-loaded with /e/ were meant to start selling this month. I’m just wondering if that date has changed and when I can expect to see these get released. I’m really looking forward to buying an /e/ smartphone!

4 Likes

Discussions are on to make this happen ASAP. Once we have something concrete it will be announced.

4 Likes

Oh nice. I was close to buy a Pocophone to install eelo but i will wait a little bit. Hope it won’t take too long :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s good news! I am also waiting for a smartphone pre-loaded with /e/

Looking forward to it :slight_smile: I hope that selling smartphones will give some financial traction to the e-foundation team.
I also wonder how the device’s warranty will be affected, but honestly I wouldn’t mind to have one without. The only times a smartphone failed on me was due to some sort of accident :slight_smile:

Do you have any updates?

1 Like

@Jkbains unfortunately as yet there are no updates. One option we are looking at is starting a ROM Flashing service wherein the users send their phones to us and we flash the ROM on them…through post. Still under discussions though.
The issue with getting smartphone manufacturers to directly flash our ROM on new devices is as you may be aware, Google has got most of the big names under the Android Anti-Fragmentation Agreement which forbids them from flashing ROM’s other than Google. Even forks of Google are not allowed.

1 Like

@Manoj @gael @patrick
Would it be possible to develop software that would allow to install ROM / e / more easily directly by users.

The current procedure is tedious.
It will scare the novice or uncomfortable with this kind of procedure.

A simple software to install on a windows or linux PC that would install the prerequisites on the computer and just a button to install the rom after plugging the phone into fastboot mode. Then the software does the work of unlocking the bootloader, installing the custom recovery and flash / e / rom.

With adb command, it is possible to unlock the bootloader without having to ask the manufacturers unlocking the phone. I use the adb command to unlock and lock the bootloader of my Xiaomi phones without problems.

3 Likes

@lcjmle thanks for the suggestion. It would be an option we will be looking at.

2 Likes

It seems have changed last october :

1 Like

@Manoj @lcjmle This is an idea I totally support…
I got this idea too, was searching the forum on this topic and found @lcjmle already posted this.
It’s currently way too complicated, we need something better!
Really nothing to add, @lcjmle’s idea is excellent.
One install, plug in the phone, one click, and wait for /e/ to be installed. :+1::smirk:

1 Like

Might Shiftphones be an appropriate partner for phones preloaded with /e/?

2 Likes

Dear all, regarding the “anti-fragmentation agreements” by Google as discussed above, please see Status on new phone roadmap