Ecloud-selfhosting updates?

Hi !

Will /e/ team update selfhosting GitLab on a regularly basis ?

Furthermore, as some may have customized their eCloud instance, could a manual upgrade documentation be available ?

Thanks for the good work anyway :slight_smile:

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

Hi Sylvain, sorry for the delay in answering.

as you may have heard, we recently (August 20th) migrated ecloud.global to a new hosting provider and one month earlier we had also upgraded to Nextcloud 18. This means we have new repositories for the NC part and we have separated the mail stack. Additionally, there is a load balancer in front now. We are still polishing these before publication and we know such a complex setup will probably not be useful for most self-hosters, only bigger organizations.

Our plan is to upgrade the current (single-server) selfhost repository with NC18/19 and updated images that are already tested to work in ecloud.global. This should happen by the end of the year. We should also have a look at those mysql/postfix problems that some of you faced during set up.

This will mostly be useful for new installs though, and if you already have one I suggest you upgrade it manually. This is done by updating nextcloud to the latest minor version (16.x) and then bumping to 17.x; then when all is good do another jump to 18.x. We (and other self-hosters) have done it multiple times and it’s safe to do (backup first, of course). The only thing you’ll lose is the Onlyoffice/community server part. You must remove that from repo-base/docker-compose.yml as it’s incompatible with NC18. Then you can install the onlyoffice and community server apps from the NC store.

If you don’t feel confident enough with these vague instructions, please wait 1-2 months that we publish a step-by-step guide (added to the readme of the selfhost project) on how to upgrade from ecloud-selfhost-16 to ecloud-selfhost-18.

Kind regards,
Arnau

2 Likes

Hi @arnauvp, and thank you for this detailed long answer ! :+1:

That’s right, private users won’t probably need a load-balancer !
By the way, I’m curious : is it just a simple LB, or does it come with a WAF, like f5’s ?

The NC upgrade seems quite simple, the instructions you wrote are clear enough for an experimented administrator.
As I’m not in an hurry with upgrading my NC, I propose to wait for the guide and provide feedback on it.

What about other components (postfix, rspamd, mariadb, nginx, … ) ?

Best regards, and bravo for the ecloud.global upgrade :clap:

I haven’t forgotten about this topic, Sylvain. We still have in mind to release the upgrade guide.

In response to your question, the LB is a plain one (HAProxy) but we have a separate threat detection tool which aggregates the logs of the different applications and is able to block certain users when an abnormal behaviour is detected.

Cheers,
Arnau

1 Like

Thanks @arnauvp for your message !

I know you are very busy, that’s ok as the current version is running fine :sunglasses:

As I’m often too busy (or lazy) to check logs, I’d love to read about your threat detection tool !
When you’ll have time, of course :slight_smile:

Kind regards,
Sylvain

Hey, sorry, missed this back in its day. We use Wazuh as specified in the FAQs.

About ecloud-selfhost, we have an ongoing community contribution to turn it into an ansible playbook and in parallel we hope to fix the existing version (which seems no longer installs correctly) in the next weeks. When that is done, the manual upgrade guide will also be provided.

FYI @diroots.e

Kind regards,
Arnau

1 Like

Thanks @arnauvp, I knew you won’t forget self-hosters :slight_smile:
Time is a strange thing : seems elastic, but no one could ever break the 24 hours-per-day limit …

Thank you for the information about Wazuh, it looks very powerfull and very well documented. I’ll give it a try.

The future of self-hosting is very promising, I will be very happy to read and try all these new features !

Gratefully,
Sylvain

Hi All,

Any news on the new version or an update of the self hosted instance?

Best regards,
Epsilon

Hello, New version of self host has been release around one month ago, with latest nextcloud 21 : e / infra / ecloud-selfhosting · GitLab

Almost … :wink:
Currently, seflhosting is running Nextcloud 20.0.2 : Dockerfile · selfhost · e / infra / ecloud / nextcloud · GitLab which is running fine, at least for me.

@Epsilon there is now an upgrade guide : docs/upgrade-to-latest-selfhost-guide.md · master · e / infra / ecloud-selfhosting · GitLab

1 Like