[LIST] Apps that work or do not work with microG

How? I can’t find an edit button…

3 Likes

The first post in this thread is editable… Pl check the screenshot

Not for me.

Edit: Okay, now it appeared.

I’m using a Fairphone 3 so I could relock my bootloader. So I may have added apps that don’t work if you can’t relock the bootloader :confused:

Hello Manoj

I’m also not able to edit.

To be able to edit, the Trust Level 1 (Basic) is needed.

For this, here is what needs to be done :

• Enter in at least 5 topics
  • Read at least 30 posts
  • Spend a total of 10 minutes reading posts
7 Likes

Thanks for the information, I thought it’s something like this.

I’m following the project since it was announced and was still called eelo, I’m using it since March on my phone and spent days worth of hours in this forum, but just as a silent reader. Now I finally created an account yesterday :slight_smile:

I saw my account was already promoted to the basic level, so thanks for that.

1 Like

It might be worth putting these in a table (or add a flag) indicating which app store(s) (/e/ Apps, F-Droid, Aurora Store) the app can be found in

It looks like these forums do support markdown tables e.g.

App name Country Description Store gg
OS Maps uk access to UK Ordnance Survey maps Au n
Google Maps Mapping and navigation Au y/n
Trello client app for Trello online Kanban boards (now owned by Atlassian) Au n
OsmAnd+ maps and GPS navigation using Open Street Map Au Fd n

If people like the idea, I can work through the current list and put it in a table

5 Likes

Putting the information into a table makes sense to me though if all the apps are put into one table it would be good to have all the ones that do work up top and ones that don’t work at the bottom (or vice-versa) so there is clear separation.

Otherwise I just wanted to say that I thought this thread is a good idea and very helpful.

1 Like

Working
Locus Maps Free

Not working
Locus Maps PRO
IT Satispay (banking)

Not working:

MOVO - electric scooters and bikes sharing
Zity - electric car sharing

microG has a wiki table of problem apps, and some have workarounds: https://github.com/microg/android_packages_apps_GmsCore/wiki/Problem-Apps

The list of apps that work will probably become very long, which is good.

Without at least app and microG version numbers, such lists might not be very meaningful.

2 Likes

Good input.

As I see, it’s just apps that use the location API. Good start, but I think the goal of this list is to answer questions if specific apps work, especially banking apps.

Good idea about the app and microG versions. Should definitely be added. Probably in future also with a timestamp, to have an idea how current the information is.

@Manoj, can this become a wiki article?
@petefoth, if you’re still down for making a table, could you insert such fields?

Nice idea, but maintaining it would be a chore, there’s a lot of information to collect, collate and update. I think the information we have is a good starting point

I already did the table. It’s not very sophisticated - fairly standard markdown table - and adding fields should be easy for anyone to do. However, as mentioned above I’m not sure we should add a lot more, but that’s only my opinion :slight_smile:
The good thing about wiki posts - which the initial post is - is that anyone can make whatever changes they want :wink:

I’m going to paste links to apps that don’t work.

Crypto.com https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co.mona.android&hl=en_GB

iSaveMoney https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.colpit.diamondcoming.isavemoney&hl=en_GB

Both crash on launch. Pity as I was using both.

working:
Lyft
Spotify lite

Not working:
Spotify
uber
uber lite
Navionics

Galaxy S9+ bought from /e/ store
fully updated everything

I am not sure that is required. I suppose there is no reason (related to /e/) that an app from F-Droid should not work. I would say the rest (Aurora or /e/Apps) people will figure out themselves.

On Firefox it is difficult to search the list. When using CMD+F one enters in the global forum search bar. I assume this cannot be prevented?

A quick test on Chrome and Safari showed that searching the page (and not the forum) works better.

1 Like

Note that apps requiring license verification apparently must use the Play Store (not to be confused with Google Play Services). This is not an issue with microG.

See for example how I got the OBDLink to install add-ons after installing a patched Play Store, working with microG: OBDLink app unable to load add-ons

Also, apps not working on phones that are rooted or have Magisk are also not necessarily issues with microG.

The title is a little misleading.

P.S. Spotify is working for me on a LG G4 H812.

1 Like

I agree. That’s why I didn’t add a column for it when I created the table :slight_smile:

I did create a gg column to indicate whether Google account / login is required, but not many people provided that information. I’ll leave it there for now as I can see it might be useful.