Email crypto: how to sign messages without encrypying them?

I would like to be able to send emails signed with my PGP key, without encrypting them.
I couldn’t find any way to do that. It seems that mails are digitally signed only when they are also encrypted (which can only be done when the recipient has a known public key)…

Follow the steps here: https://k9mail.app/documentation/security/pgpmime_current
After selecting your key for the account, you can enable PGP signing from the menu on the top right.
You do not get the tap on the icon selector, that’s a newer version of K-9 which hasn’t been pulled into /e/ Mail yet.

Thanks for your answer.

I should have specify that I use the default “Mail” application pre-installed on /e/, which is a fork of K-9.

The documentation you link to is exactly what I am looking for, but unfortunately, “Mail” does not have such granular options at the moment. It is only Sign+Encrypt or nothing…

Maybe I’ll try to migrate to K-9 and disable the default Mail. Thanks

I also use /e/-Mail and I have the option to sign only.

Maybe I should have been clearer with the differences. You should only follow the steps from the K-9 docs until you selected your key.
After that, you can enable PGP signing from the menu on the top right, NOT like explained in the K-9 docs.

If you migrate to K-9, use the ‘export settings’ function, that saves you some work.

Ah ok.
That’s strange because I don’t have it, but because it is because I use an old smartphone, and I don’t have the latest versions of the applications??

System version: 0.14-20210130…
Android: 7.1.2
Mail Build Version: 5.6000

I’m also on 0.14 but with Android 10. Interestingly, the Mail version is identical, so you should also have this option…
Here’s a screenshot of where the option is for me. Start writing a new message and then click on the three dots in the upper right.

I definitely don’t have this option in the menu :cry:

That’s sad.
Try the normal K-9, if you export and import your settings, the switch should be easy.

The switch was indeed easy, and K9 has the “PGP sign only” feature. There are a number of noticeable changes in the UI, but I guess I’ll get used to it. Thanks a lot for your help.