Endless loop on LG G5 (h850) after update to 1.10-r

I’m having an unexpected endless system boot on a h850 device. For couple of hours the white ẹ symbol is dribbling on its black screen.

Originally, the device had 1.8.1-r working. I had updated the device with 1.10-r using the OTA update process unsuccessfully – ended with endless boot.

Then I followed the official install process including

• flashing a new version 1.10 recovery while in bootloader,
  • factory, cache and system formatting using the recovery and
  • confirming md5sum for the downloaded system zip file
  • sideloading the system zip file successfully

Still, after reboot system is booting endlessly.

Any suggestions to check or hints on how to proceed, please?

My plan to confirm the bug:

• downdate to 1.8.1-r by full install process (new recovery, format device and sideload system)
  • update to 1.9-r OTA
  • update to 1.10-r OTA

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

So, I made the following steps and got the following results:

• downdate to 1.8.1-r by full install process (new recovery, format device and sideload system)
    • booting OK (lasting few minutes)
  • update to 1.9-r OTA
    • booting OK (lasting few minutes)
  • rebooting just to confirm a healthy system
  • update to 1.10-r OTA
    • endless boot (lasting an hour)

I’m reporting the issue and reverting to 1.9-r until the devs confirm changes in some of the higher versions (e.g. 1.11-r).

1 Like

I can confirm that 1.9 works fine, but 1.10 never finishes booting, i.e. the /e/OS boot animation stays on the screen. It’s not a “real” bootloop as the phone doesn’t reboot.

I’ve provided a logcat in the above issue: https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/backlog/-/issues/6912#note_385351

1 Like

How did you get any logcat and how did you get it out of the device? I’m eager to learn a new trick.

Hello, sorry for taking so long to reply.

I did the following:

1. Reinstall /e/OS 1.9 and boot it
  2. Activate USB debugging in the Developers Options
  3. Plug the phone into the PC, and run adb devices to prompt the USB debugging authorization on the phone
  4. Install /e/OS 1.10 on the phone
  5. On the PC, type adb logcat while the phone reboots

On Linux, adb logcat | tee logcat.txt will both display the adb results and save them to logcat.txt

1 Like

My user experience:

2 Likes

Thank you for reporting. I’m waiting for 1.12-r. But unless tge devs tells about any changes or fixes I’ll be hesitant to just try blind.

There is a 1.12.3-r release, but the changelog is only for r and is silent about the loop issue.