Error while installing /e/ on sony Xperia XA2

fastboot oem unlock 0x[insert your unlock code]

Oh to that I get:

FAILED (remote: ‘Device already unlocked’)

Ok, try to restore your phone with Emma tool from Sony: here

I’ve been through the same thing before. Since I could still start TWRP Recovery and had the e-zip stored on the SD card, my inattentive actions were not a disaster.

You may be able to use Sony’s PC Companion software. Xperia™ Companion is available for Windows and Mac operating systems.

With the Sony software “PC Companion” you can perform a software repair or completely reinstall Xperia smartphones with a StockROM.

Ok, try to restore your phone with Emma tool from Sony: here

Okay I launched:

You may be able to use Sony’s PC Companion software. Xperia™ Companion is available for Windows and Mac operating systems.

Companion doesn’t work on unlocked phones…

Ok, you were on Pie. /e/ is based on Oreo. Please wait with flashing e again. I will test the instructions first.

2 Likes

Hi,

Did you try to install the ROM from 26/09/2019 (e-0.7-o-2019092624980-dev-pioneer.zip)?
In my case it failed to update (OTA; I wrote it in Installation of ROM from 26/09/19 failed on XA2), therefore I am just wondering if there is something wrong with it

Yes it is indeed this one I tried to install.

Thank you, I am waiting.

Meanwhile there is some news, I have the visual aids on telling me that my phone turns on in a setting up mode, but it doesn’t seem to recognise my double taps and the phone doesn’t seem to answer the tactile screen. The screen itself just turns off and back on like this:

The on/off and volume buttons answer.

I’m going to check instructions tonight, so the emma recovery did not work fully?

There were no error messages and it completed, but yeah still didn’t fix everything…

ok, thanks.
Let’s wait for andrelam to give us some feedback … I am pretty confident he will provide us with some good news soon :slight_smile: although I am afraid I will have to reinstall everything and lose what was already set up)

I did some flashing and after emma restore the phone should work normally.

Choose a version with “Erases User data” in the description.

Another thing, use twrp 3.3.1-2 here. First get a working phone with emma. The other tool i send a link of is very user unfriendly, i could not get a good flash, i did in the past.

I tested the steps in the wiki, they did work on my phone. I went from Pie to /e/ Oreo without problem. I did notice you have another model, mine is H3113.

And try another USB cable if you have one.

I flashed e-0.7-o-2019101026628-dev-pioneer.zip by the way.

1 Like

The problem is that I can’t get a working phone with Emma… And I don’t have any other cable, maybe I can try to buy one tomorrow but if the cable can change anything how do I know the one I buy will be good?

Can you boot the TWRP version above?

Donwload the latest fastboot may help also: here
Execute the command fastboot --version before downloading so you can see the difference.

Extract the files and go into the extracted dir and type fastboot --version again to check if you use the new version. After that try to boot TWRP. fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-2-pioneer.img

In my opinion: use the original cable.
In the past, when I had problems with installation with /e/ I tried another cable (see Sony XA2 with Android 9: Warning), and all the other USB ports of the PC, but that was not the issue.
I will have to try again to install on mine, but I will be able to do it only next week … I will keep you posted

I ran into this same problem when installing on my XA2 as well but if memory serves me right It has something to do with the newer sony devices having 2 “system slot’s”. Slot a and slot b. So when going through the steps you only installed twrp on slot a. So you have to install twrp on slots a and b. And then install e on both slots. Ill get to that later. As for getting the phone to come on from where you’re at make sure the phone is completely powered off by unplugging the phone, and holding the power buttton for about ten seconds until it vibrates 3 times. Then put it in fast boot mode . then turn on Emma . and follow what was stated in previous replies. Once you get here hopefully I have gotten back to my pc so I can post the rest of the steps to finish the e install.

1 Like

Hi,
I manage to re-install /e/, version from 10/10/2019. Steps:

1. I flashed with Emma
  2. I enabled “Developer options” in Android
  3. adb reboot bootloader
  4. turn off
  5. turn on in fastboot mode
  6. fastboot twrp-3.3.1-1-pioneer.img
  7. in TWRP, Wipe + Advanced Wipe of System partition and then Install from USB OTG (I already prepared an USB key with the zipped image of /e/

(I have a H4113)

Hello,

I’ve ordered a Sony Xperia xA2 and had thought to install /e/ on it. I am not sure which model no it is or whether it had 2 sim slots or one.

However, I am quite apprehensive about installing /e/ after reading the problems faced by @sonyxa2

Do I still follow the insturctions on this page: https://doc.e.foundation/devices/pioneer/install
or do I need to flash with Emma?

I am using ubuntu 18.04 as my operating systems and have already got the latest adb-fastboot. I’ve also downloaded the latest TWRP custom recovery and /e/ oreo install package.

I also read instructions from: https://twrp.me/sony/sonyxperiaxa2.html
Here, its mentioned not to flash TWRP but temporarily boot into it, which seems contradictory to the instructions posted here: https://doc.e.foundation/devices/pioneer/install in the section ‘Install custom recovery’ point 5.

A full step by step instructions (if different from original) would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.
Robin