Essential Phone - Test and unlucky Hard Brick

support
essential-phone
build-issues

Hi /e/ community,

I was very interested in testing this android system, and i followed the process at:

But i was stuck in the middle of a Flashing Firmwares step, and since now my Essential Phone does not start, it is like a hard brick (no leds during charging, no recovery/fastboot start with power + volume button > 60sec). Maybe i have installed wrong driver or using bad usb-c cable when I was doing this process, i don’t really know what happened.

I made some research on the net and find this program of Qualcomm Flash Image Loader (QFIL), I succeed in being in communication with my “dead” phone that response with the Qualcomm driver, but i do not have the necessary programmer path (o other files) to reflash correctly my phone and make it start again.

Do you have a solution? Or know something that can help me ?

Thank you in advance,

@rhunault any suggestions from your side to resolve this.

I am in a similar situation with an Essential that I picked to flash /e/ on. The guy that sold it to me said the phone just needed to be re-flashed but it is soft bricked. I get the ‘You’re device is corrupt. It can’t be trusted and will not boot.’ screen. Luckily I didn’t pay much.
I tried contacting Essential but they said they could not fix it.

For now… it is a nice looking brick. I might search for a used motherboard and try my hand at a repair. I’m just hobbyist so it would be a good learning experience.

Some bootloaders don’t allow Android downgrade. Might this be the case?

No, I downgraded from pie to nougat when I got /e/. So it can’t be that.

Thank you for yours responses. I think also that can’t be the downgrade, on the Essential web site they have a tuto explaining how to flash previous build.

I was in contact with them, and asked about this files for QFIl :
They do not have access to whether those files would be available in the future & and they can’t repair bricked devices :s

@Alex1 just to understand the issue better please can you share some details

• I was on the latest : February 2019 Release | Pie 9 - P Release 7 - PQ1A.190105.014
  • I followed these steps, unlock (both partition) bootloader and flash the build mentioned, but i had an error and repeat several time the flash-all.bat (like i remember ~"Invalid spare file format ")
  • Never installed /e/ before on this phone

I just find this article :

I don’t know if this might be helpful
“Service Programming
It allows you to save the service programming data to file and flash the same service programming on multiple devices”