Experience installing /e/ on Samsung S7 (edge) using Windows 10

Hi,
After my test with a Samsung S4 (using the new Heimdall Windows version which I described elsewhere), here my experience with the Samsung S7 edge which now should be my real phone for some time.

Of course I thought ‘to have it in my fingers’ after succesfully /e/-fying the S4. That appeared not to be true… I had a really hard struggle with the usb-driver for the Samsung S7, on the very same Windows 10 machine where the S4 gave also problems, but much less.
I guess that the driver(s) that Zadiag.exe (included with Heimdall for Windows) installs cannot cope with the usb specs of the S7, apparently those specs are not exactly the same as for the S4. After big struggle and all sorts of errors in Heimdall, I ended op installing a huge usb driver package from samsung.com itself - without knowing which of those drivers exactly to install and if any of these drivers would be installed automatically upon connecting the S7 to the computer. Still no succes.
And then I tried Odin (instead of Heimdall) to get the job done. Odin is mentioned in the instructions for Windows users, with a link to the guidelines of one of our fellow community members. And Odin gave no troubles, it just installed TWRP in half a second. Then I used adb to install /e/ without any trouble.

What I do not know, is if Odin really needs any usb driver to be installed. Probably not, it is Samsung software after all, and I had no indication of any specifically loaded usb driver. Odin just did what it had to do, and so I succeeded.
Note that the last update for Odin was a couple of years ago, so I wonder if it will handle newer Samsung models as easy as those up to S7.

Conclusion: I don’t trust the zadiag driver installation on Windows any more, after two experiences (one mediocre, one hell).

Another note:
The guidelines for Odin tend to wipe more things in the process (once TWRP is installed) than the default instructions. It would be nice to know what is what, when deciding to wipe anything more than minimally needed.

1 Like