F-Droid is not good with /e/?

I am unsure if F-droid works for everyone with their /e/OS, or if it is F-Droid in general that is buggy.

This is what i discovered…

After preparing a small tutorial to get a family member to install Element messenger, i decided to run thru the steps myself to test before i told them. For Element messenger (and i imagine most apps) you are advised not to install the apk and instead to install F-Droid then search for Element, so that Element can get the regular updates.

I already had F-Droid installed on my phone when i downloaded Riot some time ago before the name change to element. Searching for element showed NO RESULTS in F-Droid, however when i searched Riot it was listed, then it got me thinking… i have not had an update for Element since the name change, sure enough i checked online to see that i was running an old version of Element of which F-Droid completly ignored updating!. I checked to see what version of F-Droid i have and showed it was the latest version.

. Puzzled by how to update the Element app, i was recommended by someone (in an element chat help room) to try Foxy Droid instead of F-Droid.

I unistalled F-droid and tried Foxy Droid and sure enough Element was found in search, and was able to finally update it, whats more… another app i had called Jami (another messenger) actually loaded, (prior to this for many months Jami would cause the bliss launcher to stop working, even after 3 or 4 updates of Jami via F -Droid when when once it worked fine)

Now that im using Foxy Droid it has fixed 2 issues. So i ask are other peoples F-Droid app working with /e/? and has anyone else experienced issues…

FoxyDroid client has fixed 2 issues? :thinking:
Do you mean “updated 2 Apps”?

1 Like

I observed myself that Element was gone from F-Droid (as well as from the /e/AppsStore) for a little while. The why you probably inquire best from F-Droid directly. But now it is back online (I just checked). Could be that the publishers of the app faded out the version that was initially published under the old name Riot.im and offer now a freshly renamed app.

If you make your family members install Element (the newly published one), you may get automatic updates via F-Droid as well as via /e/AppsStore.

Hope that helps. Cheers, ralxx

1 Like

Sorry i meant to say updated 1 app correctly, and fixed another app; Jami, as Jami would not launch previously despite a number of updates but now does since i let Foxy Droid manage it.

Ok Thanks for letting me know, i installed F-Droid again and now Element messenger shows in search and RIot has gone. It must be that F-droid needed to be re-installed even tho i had the latest F-Droid at the time, somehow F-Droid got broken, i`m guessing from an /e/OS update as I remember that the Jami App stopped working round that time, but wasnt too bothered about Jami as it didnt work well as a messenger anyways (back then).That previous F-Droid i had installed showed it was the latest version it was updating the other apps on my phone no problem except for Element, and Updated Jami regualry tho would not launch causing the bliss launcher to stop. Its all very mysterious but glad it all working again.

1 Like