Fairphone 3+ compatibility

Just to avoid misunderstanding:

The OTA OS updater is there and working for regular OS updates within the bounds of the installed major Android version.
It can’t upgrade the installed OS to a new major Android version currently (e.g. from Android 9 to Android 10), that’s what this is about. A new major Android version has to be installed manually until the OTA updater has been improved to be able to do that.

3 Likes

Thank you for clarifying.

I am also referring to the OS OTA updater but forgot to mention it! :+1:

Hi

I don’t want to annoy anyone here. But is there at least a rough time frame for the new OTA update mechanism for new major updates? Do we talk about weeks, months, years?

Thank you for your kind patience with my assumed faq

The mechanism for Android version changes is very difficult to manage over a wide range of devices! Since Android Pie Google have introduced increasing levels of defence against free enterprise. These measures are adopted at different times by manufactures.

In /e/ land the convention has been to call these upgrades, as in Android version upgrades.

The ability to do /e/ version updates OTA is under development.

1 Like

Hi @Manoj and @AnotherElk,
I did not want to wait any longer. So I did the upgrade to Android 10 with the installer for my FP3.
Of course I lost my settings but the installer is the result of GREAT work. Thanks to the developers!
Android 10 works as well as my new camera, which I bought a year ago.
I needed 7 hours until now to restore everything. And the re-register processes for banking apps and assurance apps are still in work. It will last a few more days.
It is still my opinion that you cannot talk about “FP3 is full supported by /e/” as long as the OTA-update between the Android versions do not work. But FP and /e/ are one of the best combinations.
Hopefully the upgrade to Android 11 will work via OTA without data loss.
So far thanks for all the support.

3 Likes

hey there,
so you got the camera+ working in your devise, because you changed your running system from /e/ to a “regular” android system?
The /e/ system does not support the better camera for FP3 and it is not possible to do the update to Android 10, which would build compability? Did I got that right?
Thank you for the response.

I also bought the new camera-modules. Wiped my FP3 and installed /e/-os android 10 and after that everything is working fine.
You have to install all your apps again but that is good once in a while. Clean up the shit. :grinning:

2 Likes

/e/OS supports the FP3+ camera modules starting with /e/OS based on Android 10 (same as with the stock Fairphone OS).

Of course you can upgrade /e/OS on the Fairphone 3/3+ to Android 10 (or 11, which is beta currently), but it is a manual install including a data wipe for now. It is not known if or when an OTA upgrade from /e/OS Android 9 to 10 without wiping data will be available.

Hi @ulionetouch

I am in the same situation, with a FP3 waiting for a Android 10 update to install the FP3+ camera modules…

Can you precise what method did you use to make the Q update ? Because as I got my FP3 with /e/ pre-installed, I have never made a manual OS installation on my phone.

I am quite lost about the method to do it, and easy-installer/TWRP/adb/ROM flash/… are not part of my daily vocabulary :sweat_smile:

Hi @BipState, e-foundation offers an installer for a few smartphones. FP3 is one of them. You can download it from the list with the supported phones. Follow the instructions given by the installer. Allthough I have experience about TWRP and ROM, you do not need it, if you use the installer.
For me it worked fine.

1 Like

Hello,

I just finished the update to Android 10 using the EasyInstaller, however, my FP3+ camera is still not detected.
I’m running on /e/ OS version 1.2-q-20220725206061-stable-FP3.
I changed the camera after running the upgrade, and it’s not detected.
Did I miss a step somewhere ? Was I supposed to change the camera before running the upgrade ?

EDIT : I just fucked up when I changed the camera module, the ribbon cable came off on both side when I unplugged the camera module, plugging it back in fixed the issue

4 Likes