Fairphone 3 FP3 support on /e/

Thanks got it this time.

Thank you, that’s great news! Hurray, hurray, hurray!!!

What a great new, I’m excited about installing it on my FP3

Received my FB3 today and was really disappointed that there is no google free OS. You give me hope! Mutch Fame to you guys and good luck!

1 Like

Hi there !
How is the testing process going ?
/e/ on fp3 is exciting indeed.

Is there a gitlab interface where we can follow current issues for fp3 ?

Have a nice day e.buddies.

The testing is progressing well. We hope to be able to finish the testing and share the FP3 build with all users by end of next week.

10 Likes

Sounds great! My only concern is if it’s going to be “easy” to install /e/ for the common user. It would be great to have the /e/asy installer released for all FP3 users (and others) to be able to install /e/ without a lot of tech knowledge (I failed to install it in a Xiaomi mi 6, but was able to install it in a S9 thanks to Odin and without any command lines, which was the difficult part for me).

I always install new OS from TWRP and my SDcard. Really simple, fast, no command line, never had any problem. I don’t know if it is the same for all smartphones. I have a FP2 so I guess that it will be as easy for FP3.

I hope you’re right. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but apparently the FP2 was more alternative-OS friendly than the FP3 (FP2 had its own OS and FP3 comes only with G**g^ android). Taking that into acount and the hassle that took to develop custom ROM, my fear is that installing /e/ in FP3 maybe is going to be more difficult, but I hope I’m wrong and that your method works also in FP3 :crossed_fingers:

Maybe the testers can confirm if the installation can be as simple as you mention or if it requires more skilled knowledge.

:loudspeaker: We are pleased to announce the release of official FP3 build for all users as of today.
That is not all :slight_smile:
Please check this announcement here
Get the build and instructions on how to flash it here

I would like to thank each and every one of the testers and users who helped us achieve this build in such a short time.

17 Likes

Is there anyway to install directly from TWRP or similar.

If not will having TWRP installed cause any issues using the method ascribed via the instructions linked above?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I am limited posting on this topic as a new user… To clarify, I have TWRP installed and want to know if that will cause any issues using the instructions for installing /e/ and/or if it is possible to install /e/ directly from TWRP.

There is a lenghty topic on TWRP on FP3 in the Fairphone forum: TWRP for Fairphone 3
From what I understood it’s less easy than on FP2 if you want to keep OTA updates (for the official FP OS).

But I can’t say if/how that affects /e/.

Thank you!!! I am very very happy for this. :smile:

2 Likes

Thanks so much! I just tried it, it works really well. Good job!

2 Likes

My fairphone 3 arrived today, what a luck.

Installation works perfect. Thank you.

2 Likes

Congratulation!
Does encryption work?
Thanks for your answer.

In the beta testing the phone was encrypted by default.

2 Likes

Yes, phone is encrypted. Wifi Calling/VoLTE seems also to be working. You can even set a preference of Wifi or Mobile.
I am having however issues regarding Voice calls in Signal, Wire, etc. They ask for the right to capture the microphone, but neither can actually record anything. Does not matter if handsfree or not. Regular voice calls work fine.

4 Likes

Same for me. The problem with the microphone also happend during videocalls with Jitsi Meet and Riot.
Btw: Installation worked perfect! Thank you guys :+1:
Any plans to publish /e/ without microG in the near future? And/or the option to delete system-apps easily?

3 Likes

Is this build based on LineageOS or AOSP?