Fairphone 3 FP3 support on /e/

In nearly two months you ported the /e/ OS de-googled for Fairphone 3. Outstanding achievement and great work. :smiley:
Donated 25 euros - should be the least I can do.

Some things you did quite well:

• Driver support (Camera, sensors, LED indicators, Wi-Fi, cellular network, etc.)
  • Bliss launcher is a easy to use UI
  • Location services with Mozilla Locations
  • microG is a data protecting open source alternative to Google GMS services.
  • Choose different DNS server
  • Alternative forked de-googled apps from Lineage OS system

Some things that you can improve:

7 Likes

Today I installed /e/os on my brand new FP3 - after setup and tuning my favorite apps, I was quite convinced about the integration of the hardware. But then I launched GPS-related apps (OSM and moreā€¦) and found, they didnā€™t work properly. In the same place, where my old phone finds 30+ sats (mesured by satstat-app), FP3 with /e/ shows 5 sats and doesnā€™t fix with one of them. Did I do something wrong in settings (Location: accurate [device and wifi/gsm])?

Canā€™t confirm, works fine for me.
Did you reboot the phone already?

You could use GPSTest and SatStat to have a look at which satellites the phone sees and uses for a location fix.

Hello AnotherElk,
thank you for this hints. As of this morning, localisation is working with gps, glonas and beidou. I donā€™t know, what has happend over nightā€¦ :wink:

Just received my FP3 and I love it :slight_smile:

Only bad news is that I had one app I paid for in the Play Store and canā€™t get the premium version of on my new phone.

The app is Automate and it says I canā€™t purchase it because the play storeā€™s payment API is not implemented.

Is there anything that can be done for this on /e/'s side? I asked the app developer (see discussion) but they say itā€™s not easy to implement another payment method on their side.

Did you look here: purchased-apps-from-google-play-store ?

The methode with transferring apk to /e/ with microG works perfect for all my apps.

2 Likes

thanks for these detailed comments! iā€™m sure that will help the team a lot

Iā€™ll get a look, thanks for the tip!

EDIT: hum in fact I already searched there. Logging with my ā€œgoolagā€ account is out of the question since the main reason for switching to /e/ is breaking free from these guys. Iā€™ve tried other solutions in comments but none seem to work for me. Which solution did you use?

Iā€™m in the comfortable situation, to switch from a googled device to an ungoogled one. So I was able to copy all payed apps via apkshare to my new device. Btw.: not all payed apps run on the google-free device, but the majority does.

Iā€™ll give a try to apkshare then thanks ofr the tip.
Iā€™m in that same situation as you (two phones) but the difference is that my old phone is not only old, itā€™s ancient :laughing:
So Iā€™m migrating apps from Android 4 to 9. Should be an interesting testā€¦

fingers crossed! Good luck for you!

Bad luckā€¦ didnā€™t work.
Also, goolag hides the open-source apkshare. Searching for it by name in the play store does not show the list of options but directly redirects to a chinese app insteadā€¦
One has to search for the app author to find it. Disgusting.

1 Like

apkshare via f-droid

This should do the job.

1 Like

+1 for graphical animations, it is very slow.
OpenCamera is not so good too (slow).
Let user delete preinstalled (or disable) all apps and microG.
Let user delete all /e/ services. I donā€™t use it, but have some ping to /e/ services.

Thank you very much!
Regards.