Fairphone 3+ Freezes every now and then

Fairphone 3+ Freezes every now and then

Hi I’m having some freezing issues with my Fairphone 3+
I have the latest update V1.0 To be honest I shouldn’t have done this the smartphone freezes regularly and then restarting does not work either, remove the battery and put it back in and yes it works again.

I WANT A HONEST ANSWER TO MY QUESTION.
Is the Fairphone 3+ with 4 GB RAM and 64 GB RAM suitable for this version of /e/os

My faith in /e/ os is running out a bit.

Please your honest advice.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

When the phone is not responding it is not necessary to remove the battery.
Just press the power button very long. Release the button if the screen comes on and the phone vibrates.

I have also a Fairphone 3+ with v1.0. The only issue I have is with the camera and reboot. But not always. No dealbreaker, but sometimes I have to reboot the phone when the camera is not working.
Yeah, it’s annoying to have such problems with v1.0 after v0.23 and v0.22 works so great for me.
We should have waited with the upgrade to v1.0. I hope they work on a new v1.0 release. As I remember v.23 had also two releases. I had both and no issues.

For your issue. Try this, if you haven’t. Run the phone in “Safe mode”. In this mode only preinstalled apps are available.
But in this mode the phone should be most stable.
To do this. Press the power button till the “Shutdown” “Restart” menu appears. Then press long the restart button till a message appears which explains what safe mode is. Press ok and it should reboot in safe mode.

I hope in safe mode the phone stops freezing. And then we know it’s maybe some app which makes the phone unstable. Which not means that /e/ os is working ok, because obviously you had no such issues with v0.23. But you can use it and we can wait for a second release.

hello thanks for your comment

I do have my doubts about /e/ the last two days there have been some problems regularly.

Your proposal to long-press the on-off button so that the device starts up again does not work.

I am now for the umpteenth time making a message asking for help (that’s pretty good to hear the help on this forum) but I don’t want to constantly get around the idea that my smartphone is not working.

Then unfortunately maybe back to google if it is not otherwise.

Indeed my thoughts go in a different direction.
I know from the past, that it’s not recommended to upgrade early.
I should have waited for release v1.01. And then upgrade to the latest v1.00.
Nobody said one has to upgrade immediately. It’s in software known not to upgrade to the latest version right after it’s released.
Even big companies recall some faulty updates. For example a windows update. Or the windows 11 release, which earned a little shitstorm.
I doubt e has a proper test team. Not on this tight release schedule and this tight budget and by supporting this many devices, I guess.
But I don’t know how many fairphone 3+ user are actually testing.
Users can apply as tester as well.
Keep in mind /e/ os is a niche project. No fancy start up with thousends of backers and sponsors. It got some attention and doing quite well.
On patreon they have not even reached the smallest goal of 4000$ per month.
I donate monthly and purchased the cloud service to support them. With the sell of the devices they seem to get enough money to go on.
This are just some thoughts, but no justifications for the poor release.
I am just mad at myself for updating way to early.

No freezes here on a Fairphone 3 … and on a Fairphone 2, which is less potent hardware.

You seem to have constant trouble.
Honestly, you should install Fairphone OS to confirm that either Fairphone OS or the new install could get you out of trouble.

After reading @AnotherElk post I looked at your previous posts.
I wasn’t aware of all your problems.
So my “safe mode” hint is really not suitable.
I would also suggest what @AnotherElk has written.

Hi yesterday I reset the smartphone to factory settings. I didn’t create an /e/ account this time
I did go through all the steps correctly and then installed my Microsoft apps and launcher.

on the one hand I think I’ll go to google again and then I’ll get rid of it but on the other hand I think no I know that /e/os is also good again and your suggestion to reinstall the original os and then again I don’t really want to start again.

Maybe I should give it some time and space for the same, the /e/ team will come up with a good update tomorrow or so.

I am very satisfied with your help roof for that

Hi yesterday I reset the smartphone to factory settings. I didn’t create an /e/ account this time
I did go through all the steps correctly and then installed my Microsoft apps and launcher.

on the one hand I think I’ll go to google again and then I’ll get rid of it but on the other hand I think no I know that /e/os is also good.

Maybe I should give it some time and space for the same, the /e/ team will come up with a good update tomorrow or so.

I am very satisfied with your help roof for that

Please be aware that the so-called factory reset in Android mainly only deletes your data and the Apps you installed and their data. The OS is left as is.
If the reason for a problem somehow lies solely on the side of the OS (which can happen), a factory reset will not help on an Android device.

ok thanks for your answer

Now that I unlock the smartphone, it strikes me positively that the battery is not even half empty yet 80% full, even that was not the case with the update of v1.0 at first, so could my action of factory reset have changed something?

I’ll give it some time.

Thanks for your help.

grt jdv

Yeah, well done. I hope it works.
My camera issue is also gone for now. I am also curious what happen tomorrow.

Installing the Fairphone OS is just for testing and determine if the phone has still serious issues. Then maybe there is an hardware error possible.
And the fairphone OS is the basis for a proper /e/ OS installation.
In the installation guide it is mentioned in red:
https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP3/install

Caution: Do not install /e/OS on top of a higher version of stock OS. Before installing /e/OS ensure your device has the latest stock OS of the same version as /e/OS. If only lower versions of the stock are available then install the last available lower version before installing /e/OS.

There must be something that /e/ os needs from the fairphone os and this is not overwritten by the /e/ os installation. Maybe some drivers, I don’t know.

I am just wondering that you use some microsoft apps.
I am pretty sure these apps have google tracker, like almost all apps from play store.
Look for yourself: https://reports.exodus-privacy.eu.org/
Just search the app. Maybe it’s listet.
But it guess you are aware of it.

Of course it could, if the reason for some trouble would be among your data or Apps you installed and their data.

Updates can cause higher battery consumption for a while until everything new is settled and optimised again.