Fairphone 3 - What do you think?

I’m interested in Fairphone, but they currently don’t ship to the United States and their bands are (understandably) oriented toward European cell networks. I’d definitely consider supporting the project if they sold a US version of the phone.

1 Like

buy a used / refurbished phone. And you will do more for our environment :wink:

2 Likes

Sorry, but as /e/ is not only “avoid google” so Fairphone is not only “save your environment”…!

2 Likes

This is exactly my thoughts on the topic.
I totally relate to the critics around Fair phones and share them as much as written above.

Yet, it might be what the future hold as the best option around the smartphone industry.

It seems that it just needs a push toward /e/ and Lineage-like Os…

buy a used / refurbished phone. And you will do more for our environment :wink:

Short term, sure, but eventually new phones will have to be produced no matter what. With modern hardware that consumers will be tempted to buy instead of that “old hardware noone needs”… But even if most consumers choose to get an used phone, and then another, thir devices wouldn’t last long because, well, they are quite simply not designed to last very long. It is expensive and difficult, if at all possible, to fix any of the many things that can go wrong with a phone. This includes optimizing software for the new hardware that comes every year. It is not sustainable, nor desireable to the end consumer. There is a place for used phones but it is not going to change how the market works.

A product that is too reliable is not a good product. Period. With very few exceptions this is how companies operate because otherwise they wouldn’t be in business very long. Harley-Davidson is one such company that is rushing into the used market because they made products too reliable. They either shift their business or go out of business. Google was able to hit the brakes on time to avoid this.

By supporting a company that directly profits from producing ethically and responsibly you are supporting the environment. The right way. These phones can be repaired, their components upgraded, and their waste repurposed again and again. Investing in technology will continue to improve this process and make it more efficient, perhaps shift it towards other upcoming industries like electric cars or portable, durable batteries.

By all means, do get a refurbished phone! You have options, and that is the whole point. Make sure you do know them so that you can make an informed decision when you are buying your next piece of technology.

@Manoj Thanks for sharing the link for requesting a device, I will for sure push that /e/ supports this as soon and as much as possible.

10 Likes

The fairphone never have had modern hardware! !

Bit I th8nk you are ftom Fairphone company so you won’t change your mind.

Buy the way, i’m a hard environment activist. That’s the reason ehy i’m fighting for used things.That’s allways the best solution, not only at phones, also on.ALL.other things.
We fon’t have enough resourced and no world B. That’s the point

@harvey186
Fairphone makes sense weither you like it or not, if you dont like it, leave it.
Fairphone 3 hardware spec is mid range 1 years old which is pretty good, maybe a bit expensive, so what ? Why the need to lie and say it’s old ?
Now you dont have to like Fairphone, but please at least be honnest and show a little respect.
You re not better than anyone else, you re not the one ‘saving the planet’ or whatever BS.

I like /e/ but i m not going to be a fanboy swearing and spitting at the face of others that may be seen as competitor. This doesnt help anyone, this gives a really bad picture of /e/.
Frankly seeing that kind of attitude makes me think :
OK /e/ is your space, your baby, have it, i ll get back to another OS. Good luck with that.

1 Like

I don’t know where I wasn’t respectful. But anyway, I will leave the discussion here, because it wasted only time. No one will change his mind. That’s bad for our world and our kids.

And all I have written does have nothing to do with e.

Bye

Agreed 100% with PNJ88… what holds me back, besides having a one year old phone only, however, arent the specs but the high price tag for what it brings to the table. Love the idea of the easily replaceable parts, the looks and the vanilla Android though.

About ROM support… well at the moment, it obviously isnt supported by /e or Lineage… as the phone is not even out to the market yet! It is in preorder state… let’s give it a few months and see what support it receives…

1 Like

Am I the only one who thinks that FP3 is too big? (Length: 15.8 cm). I know that the current market offers all huge size smartphones, but Im very happy with my 5,2" display and 14.5 cm length phone. My previous phone was smaller and I didnt have any doubts when changim it for the current one (2 years ago), but now it seems like a line has been crossed, I mean that the FP3 has crossed the line of being too big in order to use it with hone hand (and i dont want to buy any extra gadgets in order to be able to handle it with onw hand). I do agree with the philosphy of the company and would like to support them and buy them a phone (if /e/ gets supported), but currently the size is making me hesitate. Does anybody has the same issues? Anyone with FP3 who can share her or his experience? Thanks

It seems lots of people have a different opinion. But at least you don’t seem to be the only one:
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/fairphone3-really-big-how-to-carry-in-summer/55387

1 Like

Thanks @ff2u !:slightly_smiling_face: That makes me feel a little bit less alone haha. Now I have to think if that extra centimeter long will bother me a lot or if i can cope with it

1 Like

I am happy with my Fairphone 3. I installed /e/ on it myself.
Now you can buy through /e/ a Fairphone 3 with /e/ already installed on it.

4 Likes

Well I had a little bit trouble to get it installed as I have a computer on Linux.
But on the forum.fairphone.com there are people willing to help you if you have a problem installing.

1 Like

Coming from Zenphone 6 I bought the Fairphone 3 at e. After a few weeks I am fairly happy with the device. In speed I do not see a big difference to the Snapdragon 855 used in the Zenphone. Fairphone does the job nearly as good for me.
What I am relly missing is the 5+ days battery life, cannot get more than three days out of the Fairphone.

1 Like

A few remarks also from me.

I don’t want to rant about the hardware. The hardware gives me 3 or 3.5 days of battery life, this is much more than I had until now and that’s great.

In my dayly use I detected the following very basic things:

• The backside of the case is very, very, very smooth. When someone tends to have dry hands it’s indeed easy to drop it. I never had this with other phones. May be the weight of the FP3 is also a factor for that. I think it would be a worthwile target of development to give it a bit more rubber like backside or a bit more structure on the backside.

• The On button is in the middle of the left side. When I pick up the phone from the table I often turn it on. I think the middle areas on both sides should not be used for buttons at all. A good place for the On button would be on top or on the upper right side.

• The LED is unusable in every way. It seems that the value of having an LED has not been recognized at all. A programmable LED can inform the user about many things without harming other people (by sound):

• (no) mobile network
    • (no) wifi network available
    • roaming! (this is especially important when you are near a state border)
    • message received (many different)
    • low on battery, charging, full charged

But for achieving this the most important feature of the LED is visibility, I mean visibility from different angles and distances. That’s currently not given at all. The LED is small, deep sunken.and unremarkable.

• One big issue is the camera. Pictures are indeed grainy, whatever I do, probably caused by the noise reduction algorithm. See this pic as example in full size. Take this for comparison, made with an old Blackberry Z30 which had only an 8MP camera. That’s why I’m very curious about the new 48MP camera.

1 Like

The second point is habit. The photo quality is much better with:

The second point is a habit.

Sure. But devices are built for people, not the other way round. I don’t want to learn how to grab a mobile.

I know, but the right place for your comments is the support of FP as a hint for the PF4. :slight_smile:

You have the choice to get used to it or buy another phone. I got used to point two. Or you can cut the rubber button out of the bumper. :hocho:

The thread was titled (not by me) “Fairphone 3 - What do you think?” I gave some thoughts.