Fairphone 3 - What do you think?

Agreed 100% with PNJ88… what holds me back, besides having a one year old phone only, however, arent the specs but the high price tag for what it brings to the table. Love the idea of the easily replaceable parts, the looks and the vanilla Android though.

About ROM support… well at the moment, it obviously isnt supported by /e or Lineage… as the phone is not even out to the market yet! It is in preorder state… let’s give it a few months and see what support it receives…

1 Like

Am I the only one who thinks that FP3 is too big? (Length: 15.8 cm). I know that the current market offers all huge size smartphones, but Im very happy with my 5,2" display and 14.5 cm length phone. My previous phone was smaller and I didnt have any doubts when changim it for the current one (2 years ago), but now it seems like a line has been crossed, I mean that the FP3 has crossed the line of being too big in order to use it with hone hand (and i dont want to buy any extra gadgets in order to be able to handle it with onw hand). I do agree with the philosphy of the company and would like to support them and buy them a phone (if /e/ gets supported), but currently the size is making me hesitate. Does anybody has the same issues? Anyone with FP3 who can share her or his experience? Thanks

It seems lots of people have a different opinion. But at least you don’t seem to be the only one:
https://forum.fairphone.com/t/fairphone3-really-big-how-to-carry-in-summer/55387

1 Like

Thanks @ff2u !:slightly_smiling_face: That makes me feel a little bit less alone haha. Now I have to think if that extra centimeter long will bother me a lot or if i can cope with it

1 Like

I am happy with my Fairphone 3. I installed /e/ on it myself.
Now you can buy through /e/ a Fairphone 3 with /e/ already installed on it.

4 Likes

Well I had a little bit trouble to get it installed as I have a computer on Linux.
But on the forum.fairphone.com there are people willing to help you if you have a problem installing.

1 Like

Coming from Zenphone 6 I bought the Fairphone 3 at e. After a few weeks I am fairly happy with the device. In speed I do not see a big difference to the Snapdragon 855 used in the Zenphone. Fairphone does the job nearly as good for me.
What I am relly missing is the 5+ days battery life, cannot get more than three days out of the Fairphone.

1 Like

A few remarks also from me.

I don’t want to rant about the hardware. The hardware gives me 3 or 3.5 days of battery life, this is much more than I had until now and that’s great.

In my dayly use I detected the following very basic things:

• The backside of the case is very, very, very smooth. When someone tends to have dry hands it’s indeed easy to drop it. I never had this with other phones. May be the weight of the FP3 is also a factor for that. I think it would be a worthwile target of development to give it a bit more rubber like backside or a bit more structure on the backside.

• The On button is in the middle of the left side. When I pick up the phone from the table I often turn it on. I think the middle areas on both sides should not be used for buttons at all. A good place for the On button would be on top or on the upper right side.

• The LED is unusable in every way. It seems that the value of having an LED has not been recognized at all. A programmable LED can inform the user about many things without harming other people (by sound):

• (no) mobile network
    • (no) wifi network available
    • roaming! (this is especially important when you are near a state border)
    • message received (many different)
    • low on battery, charging, full charged

But for achieving this the most important feature of the LED is visibility, I mean visibility from different angles and distances. That’s currently not given at all. The LED is small, deep sunken.and unremarkable.

• One big issue is the camera. Pictures are indeed grainy, whatever I do, probably caused by the noise reduction algorithm. See this pic as example in full size. Take this for comparison, made with an old Blackberry Z30 which had only an 8MP camera. That’s why I’m very curious about the new 48MP camera.

1 Like

The second point is habit. The photo quality is much better with:

The second point is a habit.

Sure. But devices are built for people, not the other way round. I don’t want to learn how to grab a mobile.

I know, but the right place for your comments is the support of FP as a hint for the PF4. :slight_smile:

You have the choice to get used to it or buy another phone. I got used to point two. Or you can cut the rubber button out of the bumper. :hocho:

The thread was titled (not by me) “Fairphone 3 - What do you think?” I gave some thoughts.

Actually, I like the power button on the middle left, because when it was positioned on top (FP1) or upper right (FP2) I had your problem when taking the phone out of my pockets.
Also pushing power plus one of the volume buttons for recovery or bootloader mode is much easier with the power button on the left.

Edit: totally forgot that I think the button is now positioned perfectly to shortly enable the screen to check the date/time (I’m right-handed and hold the phone with my right hand).

You are right. 20chars

Had FP3 for 6 months now, can’t complain, the modded pixel camera app is great replacement for open camera if you airgap it so it does not call home.
The full skin cover is a must! The bumper did protect the phone from falls but still the full skin feels so much better.
Otherwise, great phone. The bezels could be smaller but this is an engineering necessity I hear to keep the modular design.

Agree, it’s quirky but actually you get to love some features.
More screen is my main gripe but I understand the design limitations.

Man the Zenfone 6 uses a 5000 mAh battery and the FP3 only 3500. No wonder you have that difference.

I love it !

Even, if lately did some issues with the MMS. It wouldn’t send it. I more or less succeed to fixe it, seeking some solutions on the forum. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not. I will tell you more lately.

But finally, I love it. Mainly, I love the possibility to drop down all the Google and other GAFAMT trackers, and the possibility to change the battery, and the other parts of the phone.

I love the policy of Fairphone, and the OS maker, /e/.

At the end, I’m happy, and with the mind in peace. All of this is important.

I don’t care if it’s a little bit heavy, if it’s big, if it’s not trendy, and if it’s not able to be flexible.

Thank you Fairphone, thank you /e/.

6 Likes