Fairphone 4 - Finds mobile network but can't connect?

Hi.

I recently bought a Fairphone 4 with /e/OS preloaded from the Murena shop, and I’ve got a problem with connecting to my mobile network.

My phone finds my network, but for some reason it cannot cannot connect. I’m apparently not allowed to post an image to this forum, but the symbol looks like “4G <” with a filled coverage bar, but the coverage bar has an x in it. Any idea how to solve this issue?

• Sweden
  • Carrier is Vimla using the Telenor network
  • APN list is populated with things I think are reasonable?
  • Preferred network type is NR/LTE/WCDMA. I tried switching to LTE only and restarting but, no change.
  • /e/OS version 0.21-20220123158735 (seemingly the latest version)

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Sorry, if this question seems too basic, but “mobile data” is enabled in the SIM settings, right?

I go to Settings > Network and internet > Mobile network > Mobile data

… and there is a “quick switch” in the pull down from the Home screen.

Haha yes, mobile data is enabled in the SIM settings!

1 Like

Same problem here ! 3G, 4G, 5G, nothing works.
Can’t use Signal, Twitter, IG etc.
Can’t reah Google, UNLESS I connect to my VPN ! :thinking:
But cannot acces to other website ! :crazy_face:

SMS and phone call work.

edit :
can access to blast-info.
can download maps with osmand
can access to my mega cloud account

I don’t understand anything…

1 Like

I’ve been encountering the very same issue, 4G+ and a full bar but with a x, and no internet (My provider is La Poste Mobile, and my phone a FP4).

However I might have something to give an hand : I tweaked the APN configuration for something which was recommended for my provider and it worked (it seems my internet APN was wrong and for some reason I had a proxy while I didn’t need one).

The APN configuration can be found under Parameters > Network and internet > Mobile Network > Advanced > Access point names (@ffauchier Paramètres > Réseau et Internet > Réseau mobile > Paramètres avancés > Noms des points d’accès). Hopefully like me you have :
-Web YourProviderName
-MMS YourProviderName
-Maybe some more stuff

Choose Web. Seek for your provider information how to set APN (for example for Verizon internet it would be APN = vzwinternet and no proxy). Then press burger menu top right and Save.

Can’t guarantee it will do, I found it randomly while tweaking around and it worked for me.

@frebys Dunno if you still have the issue, also you mentionned having a “reasonable” APN, did you check from your recommended APN that no extra value is set (noticeably proxy ?).

2 Likes

Thanks a lot @Kinxil ! It worked !
I had to chose ACCESS DATA, websfr in my case.
Thx a lot for taking the time to come here and give us your solution.
have a great day.

Thx so much! I’ve been dealing with a similar issue, although I was able to use mobile data on my FP4. I had to turn airplane mode on and off everytime I opened an app that needed mobile data for it to work, and I just could not get the App store to work at all on mobile data.
As soon as I applied this fix I got a notification that a couple of apps needed to be updated and the updates worked :slight_smile:
I wish they could fix it so that it works out of the box, or at least they could let users know about this.

Hi @Kinxil and @bluthej
Don’t you have problems to send MMS with this configuration ?
Thanks.

I cannot send or receive MMS neither unfortunately. It would be nice to be able to.

Yup, can’t send or receive them but since most mms I received are scam I didn’t bother until now.

In fact the default MMS configuration was also bad and apparently it’s a bit more tricky this time. I tried some tutorials here and there but for La Poste Mobile specifically, only one configuration worked for me, detailed in this website:
https://wordetweb.com/word-et-web/Telephonie-mobile-la-poste-mobile-relai-data-point-acces-mobile-configuration-FR.htm

Long story made short, the website recommend to join MMS and internet configuration in a single APN (so delete any other) as follow:

• APN: sl2sfr
  • MMSC: http://mmsdebitel
  • Proxy MMS: 10.143.156.3 (warning not to be confused with “Proxy” itself
  • Port MMS: 8080 (same warning for “Port”)
  • MCC : 208
  • MNC : 10
  • Type d’APN : default,mms,supl,dun
  • Protocole APN : IPv4
  • Protocole d’itinérance APN : IPv4
  • Type d’opérateur du réseau virtuel : GID
  • Valeur de l’opérateur du réseau… : 4C

I assume you have the same provider since my first idea helped you with getting internet. If not well you gotta fiddle around with the suggested configurations here and there.

A pretty simple way to test if it’s working is sending yourself a MMS, if it’s not properly configured the MMS sending will hang and never proceed.

The only thing I found is here : https://faq.vimla.se/hc/sv/articles/5883683960209-Internet-och-MMS-Fairphone

That looks like an official tutorial but I can’t read that language. Well give it a try and if it doesn’t do guess you have to contact your provider.

I am also using Vimla and had some trouble initially to set it up. I had to switch to “NR/LTE/TDSCDMA/CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA” (or the option without “NR”) and following the instructions posted by @Kinxil it works now.