Fairphone - FP4 - FP4 - Documentation Suggestions

Which OS are you running now? Fairphone OS or /e/OS?

Just want to update this with good news. So i updated to android 12, which by then was security patch march. And waited for 0.1.10 (also security patch march) and flashed as per docs.

Which resulted in a 100% working phone.

Docs wise i would second the use of fastboot mode as suggested abive

Installation Instructions say under Locking the Bootloader: "Once you have completed the above steps and before rebooting you can lock your Bootloader.
But after running flash_FP4_factory.sh Phone is rebooting automatically. In this file the last command is “reboot”.
Commenting out this command I was able to follow the instructions to Lock the Bootloader before rebooting.
(IMG-e-1.10 stable)

1 Like

Clarification or review or advice needed regarding locking the bootloader of FP4 …

Why the guide for upgrade the FP4 is not available now ?

Hi, I’m not sure of understanding everything clearly.
I bought a refurbished Fairphone4 on the 20th of januari, received it on thursday (on Android 12 - security patch 5/09/2023 as far as the fairphone website is correct and that the release for refurbished phone is correct).
I directly install e-OS 1.18-s (looking in the release note, security patch should be the one available until november 2023)

I didn’t read the comment on the security patch before the installation process, I thought everything will be all right because I directly did the installation of e-OS.
Installation process went all right.
My FP4 boots on e-OS but after the comment “boot loader is unlocked …”
I check in the developer options section and OEM locking is enabled.

from the reading of various topic on the subject, I don’t know what I have to do:

• wait for a new version with higher security patch ? I started with version 1.18 ; I already install the last updates 1.19 of 10/01. But in that case, can I start using my phone ? Will everything be wiped from my phone when new version will be installed and bootloader will be locked ?
  • lock with the command line ?
  • roll back to the fairphone OS, install every update possible for the fairphone os and start easy installer again ?
  • other suggetion ?

Thanks very much for your answer/suggestion/comments.

The option is OEM unlocking, and it doesn’t directly show whether the bootloader is locked or unlocked, it only allows or disallows the steps to unlock the bootloader which are done in fastboot mode.

Thanks for your answer.
I made the connection with OEM unlocking due to the fact that fastboot occur afterwards with the easy installer.
So I have to lock with the command line?
Is it normal that it didn’t occur with the EasyInstaller?
Thanks again

Hi,
update of my situation : I succeed relocking bootloader.
I read carefully lots of posts on the subject and follow the instruction.
As far as I was concerned:
Refurbished fairphone4 bought in januari 2024
Easy Installer E-OS (1.18) worked fine.
starting e-os : message “bootloader unlocked”
I open the developer option (tapped 7 times on about the phone)
I checked if OEM unlocking was enabled : OK
power off the phone
volume down and USB
boot loader mode
I use the command bootloader_lock_ability : it was on.
So I lock the bootloader with the command line.
And now, E-OS starts perfectly !

I, and some with me, installed the wrong EOS version and (almost) bricked our phones because we assumed that, a release date that is greater then the Android Security Patch, means that security patch is covered. It would be nice if the easy-installer warns you that you can’t boot-lock your phone in that case and/or that the page https://images.ecloud.global/stable/FP4/ includes information of what security patch is covered by the EOS version.