Fastest and easiest guide for building unofficial /e/ rom

Sure, Host machine: 24gb ram, 120GB SSD, 2nd SSD:480GB.
VM: 16GB ram, 20GB ssd (Currently) 480GB (soon)

I think the best option for you, if there is no important data on 480 gb ssd, disconect 1st 120GB ssd, i mean remove sata cable, and install ubuntu on 480 gb ssd and with 24 gb ram i think it will build very fast, but depends from your internet speed because 1st it download sources then it building, so with bad internet dowloading sources can take long, because it need download 100GB+ data, but after that i think it will build very fast with your specs. Or just use second ssd for vm storage, but vm will build slower than the real hardware.

Sounds good, that’s what I’ll try to do. Thanks!!

no problem, ill help you with your questions if i can.

You’ve already been awesome!
If I’ve got any more questions, I’ll shoot them over to you.
Besides, I’ll make sure to post how it went tonight. (I’m building for RPi3B+!!)

well i think i will be not simple, because there is no officiall LineageOS support, do you have vendor, device tree and kernel sources for it? You should read this [HOWTO] Build /e/ without docker for non LineageOS supported devices, because even i can build only for officiall supported devices, i only made redmi note 5 pie which have only officiall oreo but original maintainer of pie build helped me a lot, if your build will be succesfull i think it will be very great for whole /e/ community.Good luck!

1 Like

No, I don’t. I’m pretty new… I have an unofficial LOS build… I’ll try my best!

I suppose you’re aware that in the logs directory you’ll find one log you can use to monitor the first part when sources are being downloaded. When the second part starts (compilation and building) there will appear a second log enabling you to monitor this second part of the building process.

Thank you @ff2u! Actually, I was unaware. ( This is basically the first build I’ve done!) I am not familiar with Docker.
I can’t figure out how to use this log, any advice you could give me?
As discussed by @unknown and me, I began the 2nd SSD compiling the software around 13.00 EST. Now, it appears to be stuck at ''Syncing branch repository"… I am not sure if that’s natural, but my pc reports almost 5GB downloaded ( yes, over VPN… I’m not happy about the idea of throttled bandwidth, which I feel sure will happen if I don’t use VPN :slight_smile: )

So it might go ok. I’ll check back on it in 15 minutes.

How long is it reasonable to expect ‘syncing branch repository’ to take?

Open a terminal.
Type
cd /srv/e/logs
tail -f <TAB>
Instead of really typing <TAB> in the second line press the TAB key. So it should add the name of the logfile (which I currently don’t know in detail).
Then you should see the progress of the download.
If I remember right download files summed up to about 150GB in my case.

1 Like

well with vpn it can take hours… good news you only need dowload it once per android version.

I guess it’s true, but what’s good speed?
I have 7.8MB/S average speed, I think it’s not too bad…

Could anyone please tell me how many GB’s ‘syncing branch repository’ takes?
I’m at 16gb and only slightly worried…

well it takes ~100GB

Ah, thank you very much. I appreciate that knowledge. I am now at 21GB, and have been going 50minutes. Thanks! I carry on.

Ok, I think my build failed! I can’t find a zip after downloading finished, and I think it’s because I didn’t include a lineageos rom. I don’t know how to incorporate the ROM, (and it’s unofficial), could anyone please tell me?

So, the docker instructions are trying to pull lineage official image from some repository, could anyone please tell me how to change the instructions to use an unofficial ROM?
Thank you!!

Is it allowed to generate fewer apps than specified in the section -e “CUSTOM_PACKAGES=‘ ??

So for example no apps: Telegram, signal, Apps …?

You cant include lineageos rom, you need find vendor, kernel and device tree sources, search on github for it.

1 Like