Fatal error using app Mozilla VPN with Fairphone3

I don’t see anyone facing this problem with a search on the /e/ community so I post this problem here

Current Behavior:

mozilla VPN crash at launch with message :

Your application encountered a fatal error and cannot continue

Steps To Reproduce:

1. Download from /e/ store (f-droid fork)
  2. Launch
  3. See fatal error

Environment:

• Phone : Fairephone 3
  • OS: /e/ Andoid 10 [e_FP3-userdebug 10 QQ3A. 200805.001 eng.root.20210827.151157dev-keys,stable-release]

Anything else:

I use personal DNS filter think it could be the reason why the app crash but I deactivate it and the problem persist

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

I install and run the app Mozilla VPN without problem with aurora store.

1 Like

seems like mislabled architecture apk upload at cleanapk… maybe because it’s from an app bundle?

fp3 is arm64-v8a, but armabi-v7a gets installed (32bit). At startup its looking for Qt libs in its arch, doesn’t find them, fails.

W System  : ClassLoader referenced unknown path: 
I Qt JAVA : Can't find '/data/app/org.mozilla.firefox.vpn-SPOxjYhVGuxld2BuYNfqwQ==/lib/arm/libQt5Core_arm64-v8a.so'
W System.err: java.lang.Exception: 
W System.err: 	at org.qtproject.qt5.android.bindings.QtLoader.loadApplication(QtLoader.java:268)

$ ls -l /data/app/org.mozilla.firefox.vpn-SPOxjYhVGuxld2BuYNfqwQ\=\=/lib/arm/libQt5Core*                                                              
-rwxr-xr-x 1 system system 4345732 1979-11-30 00:00 /data/app/org.mozilla.firefox.vpn-SPOxjYhVGuxld2BuYNfqwQ==/lib/arm/libQt5Core_armeabi-v7a.so

at time of writing… only the armabi-v7a arch apk is available for the most current version, so this one gets downloaded and installed. Seems to be a bug in the App downloader, as for the previous version arm64-v8a is available… so it should pick the version past

2 Likes

App downloader - maybe this is willingly done - Add parameter in app-detail api to return best compatible version (!28) · Merge requests · e / apps / Apps · GitLab … as armeabi-v7a should run in arm64 devices, sometimes it’s preferable to just get most current apk → Prioritise app updates if a compatible architecture is found (#1403) · Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab

but the QtLoader is not looking for those libs, something special about the way mozilla builds this? mozilla-vpn-client/android at main · mozilla-mobile/mozilla-vpn-client · GitHub

Not sure what the best solution is between Apps and cleanapk, maybe Aurora is just serving a universal build with all arch libs… but then it could be Qt not handling it well.

I faced the same problem but then used the Aurora Store to install a further update and now it works again :v:

1 Like

I filed it in using armeabi-v7a apks in arm64-v8a devices can lead to app crash (mozilla vpn) (#3809) · Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab

You could also re-enable your issue at Mozillas bugtracker if Qt could fall back to the compatible 32bit arch. Instead of looking for the device arch in the libraries, using the Abi the apk was build for to resolve the Qt lib paths.

1 Like

Thank you @tcecyk for the investigation and for opening a GitLab issue :+1: