[FEATURE PROPOSAL] 2 additional ideas for /e/'s app store

Great ideas, I’d be for both of them!. Also a ‘saved’ or app ‘wishlist’ could be another suggestion.

2 Likes

Thank you, please put them on GIT!!! :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Hi @b3pio, could you pls specify ‘saved’ and ‘wishlist’. What do you imagine more precisely?

Like on Goolag Play where you can save a personal list of some apps you’re interested in but don’t want to install straight away.

2 Likes

Very good idea if it’s stay easy for mainstream users
1/ But we will probably discuss a lot about this short list. Blokada (maybe. I’ll prefer DNSfilter & nice alternative setup here https://sebsauvage.net/wiki/doku.php?id=dnsfilter), Exodus Privacy (maybe. It’s more for learning than directly useful), SnoopSnitch (maybe), Librechair (can’t install it, but we definitively need a alternative to Bliss Laucher), Conversations and/or DeltaChat and/or Riot.im (we really need to push up a alternative to WhatsApp & working also for Iphones, not the case for QKSMS) , GadgetBridge (definitively Yes) and OpenPods (no).
2/ Yes, we need to make alliance with projects which have similar aims (even if F-Droid is sometimes difficult to reach)

3 Likes

Thanks for DNSfilter. As messenger Jami also works for Iphones well, for Linux obviously too as a GNU project.

2 Likes

Thanks for Jami. It seems in the way for being the real one that we need (I’m trying to convince friends to leave WhatsApp).
But for the moment, an important restriction: not yet any group messages https://git.jami.net/savoirfairelinux/ring-project/issues/524

1 Like

Yes please do! Item 1 has been my main complaint about the Apps store from the beginning. How does Apps encourage the use of privacy focused apps?

I love the Fdroid idea. One difficulty with using fdroid is for finding apps that are not in the default repositories you need to add those repos manually. Maybe those could be included in Apps, the repo for the download location is automatically included with the app information and used as a download source. One I can think of off the top of my head is Briar.

2 Likes

When I was suggesting this I did not think properly what could be the 10 to 15 apps featured in this /e/ category. Pls help to provide some more categories and/or specific apps that could be featured in this place.

• Ad-blocking (such as Blokada, ideally v3)
  • Alternative Launchers (such as Trebuchet or Librechair - personnally I’d prefer Trebuchet as it is not overwhelming from the number of features and suits better to /e/'s target users). An alternative o Bliss seems to be important for all those who really do not want to use Bliss.
  • Chat/Messenging apps (Riot.im, Riot X, Signal, Telegram, Telegram XDeltaChat, Conversations, Jami). Here’s I’d put several options to provide a variety of alternatives to WhatsApp users.
  • Gadget connectors (such as GadgetBridge, OpenPods)
  • Backup
  • Time Mmnt/Parental Control (OpenTimeLimit)
  • Other (Exodus Privacy, SnoopSnitch)

Question: Btw do you think VPN should be mentioned in this cat? And if yes, in what way (in order not to promote a single provider)?

2 Likes

Yes, they are working on group chat, I suppose video group can be already used on Jami though.
For the e store I forgot to mention an idea: When I look for something, it would be nice to have apps with a good rating higher (and all the apps with lots of trackers lower).
@ralxx I’d say WireGuard should be mentioned as a vpn app. Not sure about provider apps.

1 Like

One more suggestion.
Every app has its own life, beeing mantained regulary or not; an indicator based on the distribution of commits of sourcecode may give an indication of health of the app. F-droid gives just an indication over the last time an app was updated.
As an idea over the above suggestion, have a look on extensions for LibreOffice.

2 Likes

Hi @DiegoM, great idea. But it goes quite a bit beyond mines. Why don’t you post it yourself directly on Git?

Thanks to all contributors. I posted the 2 suggestions now on GIT

https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/apps/apps/issues/66 and
https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/apps/apps/issues/67

Please feel free to further reply here and directly in GIT.

3 Likes

Hello,
You can use Twinme.Can chat,phone and video conversations.It’s open source,P2P and with end tot end encryption.No need for phonenumber,email of others to login.Just set a name,foto and you can begin.

twinme is lying in their marketingblabla: “the only messaging app that does not use your phone number (no email address or social network ID either)” - this is simply not true. There are several others, like Tox or Jami, where you don’t need your phone number, neither your email or social network ID.
It looks it’s also a closed source application. I would not use twinme, it does not look like a good alternative.

1 Like

Good points, Twinme also has a google tracker:
Google Firebase analytics

1 Like

Yeah, g analytics is definitely unacceptable! Too bad, Twinme’s UX is so beautiful… I was looking forward to it. So I’ll just stick with jami…

If you really want one without taking your personal information, no tracker at all, and point-to-point encrypted => olvid.

1 Like

is it federated? that really is the future of IM I think, if it is not we are just trading one lock-in for another (albeit a more secure one, which is positive)

According to its design, I don’t see how it could be federated.
Hopefully it should not be federated to keep its highest security without being tainted by others IM.