[FEATURE PROPOSAL] An /e/ button - as easy access to security related features

I would like to share a thought. Apart from the launcher there is no sign to allow an /e/ ROM to be distinguished from other Android ROMs. You need to dig deep into the system to have that visibility. Although, I am rather not a big fan of branding, I believe it would be good to have a tiny bit more /e/ visibility on the phone - maybe with an ‘/e/settings’ symbol just on the desktop or in the quick settings pulldown menu (as a little /e/ button next to the ‘official’ settings button.

Let me explain you why:

• Easy entry point.** An /e/ button could be a shortcut to security related issues on the phone. For many future /e/ users the installation of the system or the purchase of an /e/ phone will be just a very first step on their journey dealing with and learning about security related issues. Therefore it would be good to have a straight and easy to reach central entry point on the device.

• Access security features. It could a good place to easily switch on/off security features such as VPN, ad-/tracking blockers, etc.

• Statistics. To have easy access to security related statistics and mobile data usage.

• Learning & Information. The /e/ menu could be an entry point to the /e/ website, relevant blogs and maybe later on a section with a highlighted feature or a new app (s.th. like once or twice per month). All this in order to help users to increase step-by-step their knowledge and awareness on security issues.

• How to explain /e/ yourself. I am sure there are lots of people interested in a privacy respecting mobile phone system. I believe people who decide to use that are potential multipliers to tell about /e/. But I believe as well that many future users would not be capable to explain easily what /e/ actually is and does. So why not providing an easily accessible place on the phone with explanations in a simple language (something like: /e/ in 2 sentences. And: /e/ in five bullet points).

What do you think?

4 Likes

Hi @ralxx, thank you for contributing to the improvement of /e/ by sharing your thought .

One of the /e/ goal is to be a unique OS, with unique features, design etc in order not to be a simple LineageOS fork. Of course it needs time but one day we will get there.

About the “/e/ application” or “/e/ control center”, I agree that an /e/ application pre installed with detailed articles made by the /e/ team (or not) about all the aspects of privacy in order to inform people is a must have. It could show people why that specific setting is important and help them to understand what they are using.

It could have a “News” section with latest articles about security, data leak, e foundation projects etc made by the /e/ team, a “HowTo” section with basic tutorials and explanations of all settings, and why not a shortcut section with shortcuts of all privacy and security settings.

It could definitely be an easy, non intrusive and understandable app for every users.

Once you’ve had more opinions, you should suggest your feature on the GitLab.
More details of the process here.
(You can only report “issues” but don’t worry, “Feature Suggestion” is welcomed)

1 Like

great idea, i support this!

I gradually come to the conclusion that the things we want from the /e/ are the same things that LineageOS developers have not performed to a logical perfection. This particular case reminded me of LOS’s “Trust” interface, which is probably based on the same idea, but in much less comprehensive way.

1 Like