[FEATURE PROPOSAL] Building GSI Image

Hi,
I’m thinking about turning my Xiaomi Redmi 6A to /e/. But it’s not officially supported. Also, Redmi 6A is Treble-Enabled and works perfectly with phh’s AOSP Image.

Can you build image or give me the equivalent of https://github.com/LineageOS/android.git so I can build it myself.

GSI Image can be installed on EVERY phone originally shipped with Android 8.0 or newer and SOME phones upgraded to Oreo depending of the manufacturer. There can be some bugs in hardware recognition but is the new updating method by Google.

Check this wiki for building : https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/wiki/How-to-build-a-GSI%3F

Thanks for responding,
AerisOne.

PS: If their is some language errors don’t blame me, I’m French :wink:

2 Likes

What’s about building a oreo or pie version for your device to get all needed sources. Than you can build your GSI image with the sources.

HowTo’s building an unofficial version you will find here in forum of you search ‘docker’

But you have to find the vendor source somewhere on github because lineage has stopped for XIAOMI device because of copyright issues.

There is a (unofficial) Lineage GSI Image, working perfectly on my phone, cause hardware drivers are not modified when using this type of image.
I think we can compile a Generic image that work on mostly all devices.

that would be great !!!
If you will build a GSI you can share it with me, I will test it on my treble enabled capricorn device

y the way, the lineage16 gsi wasn’t working on my device

Hi @AerisOne we do not have a GSI image for /e/. We do not have team members who have the required skills. Would be great if any of the users who has built GSI would volunteer to initiate this.

1 Like

@Manoj, I’ve read wiki of phh’s work, it seems very simple.

If you give me the repo link I can try to make it myself.

1 Like

The team member who tried it mentioned there were issues in building based on just the tips on the net. So may be there are some extra steps that are missing in the online tutorials.

it seems, but it isn’t. It could work for devices which are delivered with treble.
I have tried made my capricorn treble enabled and tried to flash around 20 different GSI images. None was working. Only the original google android 9 image :frowning:

But if you will build a GSI you can share it with me, I will test it on my treble enabled capricorn device

My Redmi 6A is Treble-Enabled but default because it’s shipped with Android Oreo.

be happy …

Capricorn is not Treble-Enabled by default (cause shipped with Android <8.0) that’s why it is not working with some roms.

Sorry for double post but I just noticed that dakkar’s build script already support /e/ (v0.2)

This means that you can build your own GSI image with just a few commands and fully customize it: with or without SU, A or A / B, ARM or ARM64 or A64… You can also add gapps :joy:

Only problem (if it is one): you MUST HAVE a pc under Ubuntu or Debian.

Check this wiki for more infos (also read the start ing of the page) :

Romname for /e/ is e-0.2
UPDATE : I’ve updated the script : new romnames are now e-pie or e-oreo, and e-0.2 is removed cause it’s an old version.

I’ll try to build some images (at least one for Aonly and one for A/B partition schemes) tomorrow.

1 Like

it’s pointing to a rather old branch (“v-0.2”) in the /e/ repository

Thanks please try and let us know. As mentioned some of our team members did not have much luck trying it. The correct branch names are
v1-pie , v1-oreo or v1-nougat

Cannot create GSI for Nougat cause Nougat does not support treble cause introduced in Oreo.
I’ve updated the script with new branches, waiting for owner to merge changes.

EDIT: Merged !

1 Like

Hi @AerisOne let us know how your efforts on building the GSI go ahead. We have unfortunately not been successful as yet.

https://gitlab.e.foundation/snippets/107

Build in progress.
For the moment no problems.
EDIT : Issue when applying patches. Trying to resolve it.
EDIT : Seems issue is solved, I’ve said “seems” !

I’m building 4 images :

• ARM A
  • ARM64 A
  • ARM64 A/B
  • A64 A
3 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to build the GSI’s.

1 Like

Hello, i’m trying to build the GSI too, indeed patch issues! The patches are not 100% /e/ source compatible. I’m stuck at 92% now, some function double defined in two .o files, don’t know how to fix yet. I also got trouble with libexfat_mkfs/fsck, did you have it too?

2 Likes

If we get this working, we could create an /e/ patch set!

2 Likes