[FEATURE PROPOSAL] Child safety features in /e/ - some thoughts

Hi,

I have found this interesting thread, and I was wondering if there is a feature to have different “profiles”, one like administrator with full control on the devices, setting the permissions for the others, and a normal user profile, with limited possibility (no app installation / no change of sensitive parameters …)

In my /e/OS, I can see there is the possibility to have a “personal” and a “work” profile (which I guess the app Shelter uses) but I am not sure that they are doing what I meant … in the past, I tried to add a profile in an Android 7 device, but this did not achieve what I wrote above … and based on what you wrote, I was wondering if that was the fastest way (which is not so convenient for a noob like me :slight_smile: ) in the latest versions of /e/ OS …

Thank you in advance!

I have the feature you mention in my notepad with /e/. It should be available also on phones. Work and personal are probably referring to Shelter which is intended to protect the privacy for the very same user.

Search for " multiple users" under settings, then add user and experiment

Hi @nottolino,

Thank you for your reply.
I have tried to add a user in my /e/OS device, but it seems that the experience is similar to what I had with the old Android 7 device: it is possible to add another user, but that will have its own space, and they can customize it, as well as update apps and adjust device settings. Which is not what I wanted … perhaps there are other options with the more recent versions of /e/OS …

That’s weird because I wanted to share the tablet with my wife, but it ended that she cannot install her apps because she was not an administrator.

I asked in this very forum about this

Pretty interesting @nottolino
Let me try again then … I saw a warning when creating the new user and I stopped there …
Perhaps it is a matter of /e/OS version … can I ask you which one you have?

Thank you in advance

Yes, sure. I will report it later

on a samsung galaxy tab S2.

If you wish I could try to add one user and see the behaviour under your directions

thank you very much @nottolino, very kind of you.
Complicated period, I hope I will time to “play” with my device during the weekend, and I will let you know.

Have a good day

Hi @nottolino

I could not resist :smiley:
I created a new user, and the following is what I understood from the test:
a) it really created a separate space for another user, like it was a new clean installation of /e/OS
b) it was possible to adjust all the settings / aspect / apps
c) I could switch Wifi on (no need to provide the password = network recognized by the device …), browse the web, download FDroid and apps from it

So, it was not the administrator / user mode I was looking for, but more a multi-user feature. I do not know if this is linked to the version of /e/ installed …

1 Like

I’m happy to have contributed to help you out

1 Like

Thank you @nottolino

So, let’s see if there are other feedbacks here … to understand if the matter depends on the /e/OS version or the device type (different behaviour between smartphone and tablet?).

Basically, you have what I am looking for, and I have what you would need :smile: life is not fair :smiley:

I guess that my next step would be to upgrade to a newer version of /e/OS (one day … I really need some time for that …), and retry to add a user, to see if it behaves differently. And perhaps try to get a tablet later, if /e/OS will be able to do what I am looking for.

Have a good week

Teracube plans to come out with an own phone with child saftey featues it seems, maybe another opportunity for collaboration?:
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/teracube-thrive-safe-phone-that-lets-kids-thrive–2/coming_soon

2 Likes

I like @MaxO 's idea to have /e/OS in such type of device… but I would like to understand more about that device and its features. Is there any furher information about it?

Thank you