[FEATURE PROPOSAL] Do not autonomously switch on phone for alarm or anything else

See this discussion: Phone switches itself on I decided to make it into a feature request.

TLDR: I was very surprised to learn that my phone switches itself on for sounding an alarm. That is contrary to everything what I expect a manually switched-off device to do. In my mental pictures of how devices should behave “off” means “off”.

There now seems to be no simple, surefire way to silence your phone during a concert, church service, meeting or something else. You have to always check multiple things, which is error-prone.

I can not use the ‘do-not-disturb’ instead because I use it to prevent notifications during the night from disturbing my sleep, but I do want my phone to wake me up in the morning.

All the things that might work around this “feature” depend on careful configuration and not overlooking something. It also requires the user to be aware of new noise making features and disable them (because new features are nearly always on by default).

At the very least it should be made into a generic system option “allow phone to turn on for certain actions”. That setting should be an opt-in, so it doesn’t hide itself like a bear trap under the leaves for those, like me, that have not made a study of every feature in a modern phone.

The last motivation is that this feature adds to the “your phone controls your life syndrome”. I now have to suffer a device that seemingly knows better than me.

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the deGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone