[FEATURE PROPOSAL] Migrate easily to /e/ : contacts, calendar,

I followed the suggested procedure, however the import vcf → e.email account imported only 69 out of the 1648 contacts that were transferred from the outlook-csv esported from google to evolution addressbook, the other were considered “problematic” by nextcloud…

It looks like the contacts with phone numbers are those “problematic”. Evolution exports the phone numbers in VCARD adding the string “X-EVOLUTION-E164=33333333,”+39" where “333333333” is the phone number so that it looks like:
TEL;TYPE=CELL;X-EVOLUTION-E164=33333333,"+39":+33333333

If I strip the string “X-EVOLUTION-E164=33333333,”+39" than /e/ (nextcloud) is able to import the record.

The problem is that I need a script to strip all those strings automatically…

1 Like

have you tried to import one of these contacts direct to your phone, not via NextCloud ? To check if the number problem will also exist on phone adressbook.

There is a port in the forum regarding import issue in e.drive. It never imports all contacts. Could be the issues is sill available.

Tried right now: unfortunately the groups do not show up even if contacts are imported from evolution-exported-vcf to the default contacts app on the /e/ phone.

However I am understanding something more:

1. no groups can be selected for contacts on /e/ account (actually no “group” field appears when editing the contacts)
  2. groups in the phone contacts app are available only for contacts on the local phone memory (here “group” field appears when editing the contacts)

In conclusion, it looks like /e/ preinstalled contacts app does not support groups.
Loading my 1600+ contacts addressbook using Simple Contacts did not work.

That’s wrong. On my phone with simple contacts, the group is imported from evolution vcf

Screenshot_20190830-151131_Contacts

Unfortunately I cannot check using Simple Contacts app since when I launch the vcf import it gets stuck without resulting errors (maybe my addressbook is too large and complicated?)

No need for simple contacts. The default address book is showing the imported group also. Have a look on my screenshots with light background. That’s the default address book with the imported record via evolution vcr file.

Have you seen the group in Evolution in field ‘categories’ ??

Looks different from mine… are you using OS version 7.1.2 too?

my contacts has 1,7,31 …
on pie

Yes, categories are correctly reported in Evolution, but they are not imported in the contacts app on my phone.

You say your OS version is 1,7,31… where did you pick these numbers?

not OS version. OS version is ‘pie’. App version, you will find the number when open ‘Settings’ / ‘apps’ / ‘contacts’ / in contacts 'advanced (last point) and then scroll down. Latest entry is the version number

Ok, so the version of my Contacts app is 1.4.22. Maybe your newer version added support for groups for non-PHONE addressbooks?

that’s very old version. You are on nougat OS (e-v7-n-xxxxxx) ?

OK, I think it’s the next reason to swap to simple contacts.
If not all will imported in one step, split your contacts to 100 or 200 hundred records and try then. I have around 900 contacts which where imported several times without any issue.

that’s very old version. You are on nougat OS (e-v7-n-xxxxxx) ?

Yes. The version that /e/ installed on the refurbished Samsung S7 edge I just bought…

OK, I think it’s the next reason to swap to simple contacts.
If not all will imported in one step, split your contacts to 100 or 200 hundred records and try then. I have around 900 contacts which where imported several times without any issue.

Probably I will renounce using the group field… thank for your help!

on refurbish phone !!! I can’t understand why they are shipped with nougat and not with pie !!!

If you need further help, let me know

1 Like

I am not sure to be on the subject but Nextcloud(that is the back end) use VCF version 3
and android phone export as 2.1
i had to convert my contact csv file to version 3 for import in nextcloud and i got so failed contact.
import vcf on the phone is 'suffisant" to got it in /e/ backend ? it is sync…

Sorry, don’t know what you want explain us :woozy_face:

Do you have an issue with ex-/import or ??

I understand that you are trying to find a workaround for this bug that @harvey186 mentioned earlier here, but it would be good if /e/ could just fix it.

It would be good for privacy if /e/ could address this improvement first:

https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/apps/Mail/issues/32

1 Like