[Feature Request]: One-click root in Developer Options; or 'root spoofer' and Root ADB

A ‘rooted’ phone merely allows superuser to run apps via the SubstituteUser binary… it should be as easy as flipping an option in Developer Options to ‘root’ the phone.

So I propose a ‘one-click root’ option in Developer Options which enables superuser and enables root ADB. That way we don’t have to go through the machinations generally necessary to ‘root’ the phone… this will reduce the number of bricked phones due to improper rooting, and will attract more people to the Murena brand.

We used to have root ADB in Developer Options, but it’s disappeared with the latest version.

The primary goal is to grant permissions to apps such that they can run, so if ‘one-click root’ can’t be implemented, at least have a ‘root-spoofer’ (a stub which tells apps which check for superuser that it’s available), then allow root ADB so we can grant the app the permissions it needs, even if the phone’s not rooted.

Why the ‘root spoofer’? Because as a proxy to determining if a phone is rooted, some apps check for supersu, and if it’s not available, the app errors out. The ‘root spoofer’ would at least get past that cursory check so the app continues running, then one could manually grant the permissions the app needs to run via root ADB.

That way, the phone can run non-rooted, but apps which require root could still be run; and the phone would still be as secure as a non-rooted phone (apps which require root but which haven’t had the necessary permissions granted would error out because the phone’s not actually rooted).

4 Likes

Hi

I second that. Rooting should be as easy as checking an option in the settings.

And the current TWRP versions don’t work with the current eOS versions. So you can’t flash Magisk in order to root the phone. There doesn’t seem to be a way to root an eOS phone now, in a way that’s feasible for many users.

1 Like

I have no idea how they would go about implementing such a thing but I third that. Cause root access is very useful in many cases and having it be easy would be amazing

I just sideload Magisk.zip via ADB and ny phone is rooted. Doesn’t that just work on all devices who have e/OS installed? Tested on OnePlus 9.

1 Like

Yep. Installing Magisk on /e/ is as straightforward as that on my devices (no TWRP). Then there’s the normal/recommended way per Magisk installation guide (patching boot image, etc.).

As far as the there should be an option thing…
Lineage used to include root that could be turned on/off. It was part of the whole Privacy Guard thing. At some point Lineage SU would not be included but support for it was still there. One could download the SU addon from Lineage’s extras section.
I think starting with Android 10, Privacy Guard was no more and thus no more Lineage SU.
Sadly Magisk is pretty much the only game in town.

To suggest /e/ do something about including root is unrealistic and probably not possible.

3 Likes

I may have to slightly correct myself due to something that just happened this minute.

Advanced Privacy was broken on my Teracube. Would not run at all. Updated to 1.8.1 but still broken. At one point I even deleted its data directory.
Logs show that the activity to launch it from Settings could not be found.
For S&G (off-color phrase :grin:) I updated to 1.9-beta. AP was still broken. Yet I was presented with “Discover Advanced Privacy” notification but still not launchable.
Had to do a factory reset. Now AP works but I don’t plan on using 1.9-beta.

Now to the point. Everything was clean and fresh with no third party apps of course but a Magisk stub was present in the launcher. Launching it would download, install, and setup Magisk. ROM is now fully rooted without any flashing or manual patching process.

I forgot about the stub. I had a ROM or two in the old days that would include it but I was a SuperSU guy back then.
I noticed a stub apk is available along with the main Magisk apk from their GitHub.
Assuming that stub is similar maybe it could be included with a ROM, giving the user the option to root or not.

Of course I could be completely wrong about the stub apk. Still surprised it was present and easy peasy to root.
Thoughts, corrections, dismissals?

EDIT: When I updated to 1.9 I also updated Magisk. So it makes sense a portion of it remained in the boot I guess. A literal stub.

EDIT 2: Yeah, my assumptions are wrong.
After fastboot flashing 1.8.1 I later installed the stub, via adb. Once run Magisk still has to be installed via a patched boot.img.

Disregard all the noise. Was fun to hope though. :upside_down_face:
But at least one knows that if they factory reset a rooted ROM, Magisk is easily reinstallable.

1 Like

Hi, Infinity!

Your way works! I’ve found more instructions here:

Thank you!

Volker