Feedback for v1.2

It works very well. I have the 1.2 Q on a fairphone 3+. It is very fast when I switch it on. I find it splendid that the alarm clock is working with the phone switched off. It was a nice surprise to see that a minute before the programmed alarm the phone switches on and the alarm starts. So I can sleep with the phone switched off.
Wi-Fi working well
Battery life ok
No app with problems
It is a very good user experience

I use the Discreet launcher.

Hi,
I’m using a Fairphone 2, on which v1.2 was now installed. I did not measure it, but intuitively it seems that v1.2 requires more energy than v0.9x before. Did anybody observe the same?
mbi

This is an issue for years now and despite all promises in gitlab it remains. One of the reasons why I don’t recommend /e/OS to normal users yet.

2 Likes

Hi,
Couldn’t upgrade to 1.2 as I’m running under Pie (that was delivered with the brand new FP3 I bought two years ago from eFoundation e-store). :frowning:
I’m waiting for eFoundation to deliver a way to migrate from Pie to whatever newer version without losing my phone data…

Maybe that is the reason:

Hello, I can’t do any upgrate till this one :

So I am very far of this subject…
I’m using a FP3 bought at /e/.

I did get that there won’t be any OTA upgrade for Pie.
But my understanding is that there might one day be some workaround, such as a full reinstall capability (to Q or R or whatever) with data and apps backup and restore.
That would definitely work for me… as long as it doesn’t take a decade to happen! :slight_smile:

Not automatically.

Thanks Nicolas,
No, I haven’t asked for help at this time. My understanding is that there is currently no simple way to upgrade while keeping the whole set of data and apps in the phone, but that the folks at eFoundation are considering workarounds.
So for the time being, I’m applying the “wait” option… :wink:

2 Likes

Source, or wishful thinking.

If you are referring to Seedvault … it’s coming, it’s not perfect either, and it’s not in Android 9 (Pie) as far as I understand.

fwiw, I’ve updated from Android 7 straight to Android 10 before, it isn’t impossible.
Were signing keys changed or something similar? I don’t see a reason in-place upgrade wouldn’t work.

Most users of Fairphone 3/3+ (@Bigrette and @PhilA both are) face a locked bootloader (the default end step of any install on these phones).

Without an OTA upgrade there’s only installing manually, and for that the bootloader needs to get unlocked, forcing a factory reset for security reasons, deleting user data.

I did leave my bootloader unlocked deliberately from the start (accepting the accompanying security implications), and I indeed did a “dirty” install to get from Android 9 (Pie) to Android 10 (Q), keeping all my stuff.
So for that situation you are correct, but it’s not a common situation at all on the Fairphone 3/3+.

3 Likes

After 2-3 weeks, i didn’t notice particular issues with 1.2 on A5 2017.
Just sometimes a weird behavior with firefox which block me in the apps (impossible to use any Burton or switch to another app) but hopefully, i can close it with the close button inside Firefox. I have not been able to find the reason for the moment… Perhaps too many tabs opened (more than 25-30).
And sometimes Trebuchet crashs…

2 Likes

@AnotherElk
bootloader being locked has no impact on upgrading across versions as long as signing keys were unchanged.

I have new Teracube phone. It is stuck on v 1.0 and does not recognize any new updates.

I also tried using the /e/OS Easy Installer and that does not recognize my device.

Not sure what to do here…

Then how do you upgrade an FP3 with a locked bootloader, without an OTA upgrade, with a manual install via fastboot which needs an unlocked bootloader?

@AnotherElk
Why can’t you just adb sideload the latest OTA zip?

It is no different than manually updating across versions on stock OS.

Fastboot files should only be used for initial installs, and as you mention can only be flashed when unlocked.
OTA files can be used from system updater apps and the recovery, and work when locked as long as signing keys match.

I have multiple bootloader locked devices that have been in-place upgraded from 10 to 11 to 12 in real-world use.

Here is a bootloader locked and verified boot enforcing sailfish that went from 10 to 11.
LineageOS only added 11 support in February of 2022: https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/4b0dfba154e398a84a7691f20e1a355ae54c76e2
Yet many application were installed November of 2020.

Nothing like wishful thinking there.
Info from /e/ Help Desk, end of June.

2 Likes

/e/OS on FP3 initially gets installed via fastboot and then does A/B seamless updates.
Recovery isn’t involved.

There is no useful OTA ZIP unless somebody intercepts an OTA URL or file and proves the OTA file can be used on FP3 to upgrade with the updater or with the recocery.