Feedback for v1.20

Vendor Name: Fairphone
Device name: Fairphone 5
Device CodeName: FP5
Previous Version of /e/OS: 1.19.1-t (stable)
Rooted: No

OTA update OK.
Multiple issues that affects me in 1.19.1 are still in 1.20:

Usable with workarounds (rebooting the phone each time one of theses cases happens).

Vendor Name: Google
Device name: Pixel 5 (5G)
Device CodeName: redfin
Version of /e/OS which existed previously: e-1.16-t-20231017342511-stable-redfin
Device is not rooted, but Verfieid Boot | re-locked Bootloader

The OTA update went smoothly, but as with other Google Pixel devices, the update process takes significantly longer than with other devices from other manufacturers.

:white_check_mark: works fine: 12W wireless charging
:white_check_mark: works fine: USB-C to USB-C LAN-Adapter (RJ45) - (Wired Internet)
:white_check_mark: works fine: USB Type-C 3.1 to USB 3.1 Gen1 128GB Flash Drive (FAT32)

Strange ! I got all previous upgrades by the update manager (settings)
Thanks anyway

Two identical devices.
Samsung Galaxy S10+ SM-G975F/DS beyond2lte
One upgraded from 1.19.1-S other flashed from Samsung ROM

Both will reliably forget some settings over reboot.
Clock looses settings, even after adding user. Reboot is a guarantee alarm will not go off, even when it is on.
Tasks.org will partially loose settings and shall stop synchronising with NextCloud via DAVx5
Calendar stopped syncing with NextCloud via DAVx5
Both problems were resolved by re-pointing Tasks.org and DAVx5 at not lost NextCloud account (still in apps, but didn’t work anyway)
1440p video playback is utterly broken. Won’t work on Gallery, VLC, NewPipe, BraveNewPipe.
Contacts forgotten starrec contacts, even though contacts are provided by NextCloud via DAVx5

NextCloud is not reason for problems with Tasks and Calendar. NextCloud is accessible via domain both externally and internally. It is running entirely from SSDs on hardware RAID6. All problems have occurred while in, so my biggest bottleneck is WiFi 6 over 5GHz.

Icons were rearranged to alphabetical order after adding user (on user 0).

GPS seems to be fixed and GPS week rollover didn’t happen yet.

On every reboot problem reappear on both phones. It doesn’t seem to be random glitch. It is reliable to occur.

Might be due to 1.20, but my Fairphone 4 has quit uploading pictures to Murena Cloud. I am using about 30 of 128 GB now, so that should not be the reason.

Any ideas what to check?

Vendor Name: Samsung
Device name: Galaxy Tab A7 (2020)

Device CodeName: gta4l
Version of /e/OS which existed previously: e-1.20-t-20240225-UNOFFICIAL-gta4l by @ronnz98
Version of Recovery which existed previously: recovery.img e-1.20-t-20240225-UNOFFICIAL-gta4l by @ronnz98
Device is not rooted

Device CodeName: gta4lwifi
Version of /e/OS which existed previously: e-1.20-t-20240225-UNOFFICIAL-gta4lwifi by @ronnz98
Version of Recovery which existed previously: recovery.img e-1.20-t-20240225-UNOFFICIAL-gta4lwifi by @ronnz98
Device is not rooted

I did a clean install to have a fresh system and prevent any conflicts. Both tablets are now running the official /e/OS-T V1.20. I still miss the BlissLauncher with tablet optimization that has been announced since May 23, 2023:

I adjust my previous comment about Pixel 5 redfin

upgrade from e-1-19.1-T-stable to e-1.20-t-stable is OK but takes more or less 80mn…
Nevertheless everything OK.

I unlocked the bootloader and enabled OEM unlock during /e/OS install, then locked it again once install was over (following easy installer instruction). Then I disabled EOM unlock.

I locked my bootloader prior to upgrade to 1.20, but I have a doubt about the OEM unlock. I believe it was already disabled but cannot be sure. It is a bit foggy.

Fairphone 3+
FP3
Updated from v1.19.1-s-stable to v1.20-s-stable
Not rooted

Update straightforward and completed in 35 minutes.

All appears to be working OK on initial testing of basic functions & apps: wi-fi, mobile data, bluetooth, GPS, phone, message, mail, browser, camera, app lounge and various other apps.

The long-standing reported issue I have with no automatic VPN connection is still present.

Thanks again for all the good work.

Hello /e/ OS Community,

I’ve purchased the Fairphone 5 together with a mobile data plan in 02/2024, in Germany.
The provider delivered the device with stock Android.
I flashed immediately /e/ OS on it, following this guide:

https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP5/install

Everything went well, including unlocking the bootloader, flashing the ROM and locking the bootloader again afterwards.

I went on happily with my life.

But then, yesterday (02.03.2024) in the evening, I received on my phone a notification about an update of the OS to version 1.20.
With a charging phone with more than 30% battery I tapped “Download” and installed afterwards the update but I didn’t reboot yet the phone and went to sleep.
Today (03.03.2024) in the morning, I picked up the fully charged phone and tapped “Reboot”.
When the devices turned off, nothing. BRICK!
I tried every key-combo:

• power 10 seconds
  • power + volume up 10 seconds
  • power + volume down 10 seconds
  • holding power + volume up / volume down and connecting USB for ADB

Nothing. The screen does not react, no vibration, nothing, no feedback from the phone.
The only “feedback” I get is, when I connect the phone to the PC, I hear the sound the PC makes when something gets connected.
The device manager then only shows under “Other devices” : QUSB_BULK_CID:XXX_SN:XXX
I replaced the serial numbers with XXX.

Also while holding Power or Power + volume down for 10 seconds while connected to the PC, I get the sound of disconnection and connection from the PC. That’s all.

Also, installation of fastboot and/or ADB drivers did not help.

Has anyone an idea what happend? Any advice what to do?
If there is nothing I can do, do I have a change for a fix by sending it to the Netherlands for a fix?
If yes, does anyone know who to contact for sending in the phone?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help guys!

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Xiaomi Redmi Note 9s
miatoll
Updated from version: e-1.19.1-s-20240112372761-dev-miatoll.zip
Not rooted.

Loaded the new recovery;
did NOT factory reset, did NOT format;
Sideloaded the new OS Firmware.
The progress counter stayed at 47% for a good while. On returning to the machine, it had completed.
All functioning as before.
Thanks.

Xiaomi Redmi Note 9s
miatoll
Updated from version: e-1.19.1-s-20240112372761-dev-miatoll.zip to 1.20 T version
Not rooted.

Loaded the new recovery;
did NOT factory reset, did NOT format;
Sideloaded the new OS Firmware.
Seems fine except SaftyNet status fails. CTS profile mismatch so it seems it recognize unlocked bootloader again? SaftyNet was passing in several last /e/ os (S) updates on miatoll. Unfortunatelly fails again on Android T so one application I need which requires SaftyNet do not work anymore. Please fix this again. Thx
EDIT:
adb shell getprop ro.boot.verifiedbootstate
green
As verfied boot state is green CTS does not fail because of bootloader state as before?! This is new problem.
EDIT2: after several restart, failing app which requires saftynet is working again. SaftyNet is still failing. My guess is that particular app was updated (APP Lounge reported update but you don’t see which one)
SaftyNet is becoming obsolete so maybe it is not required anymore while app is not updated to use play integrity yet.

1 Like

Device name: Fairphone 3
Device CodeName: FP3
Version of /e/OS or Stock which existed previously: /e/OS 1.19.1-t-20240113373116-dev-FP3
Is the device Rooted / Not rooted: Not rooted

No issue with updating, now on 1.20-t-20240222382228-dev-FP3.

The following things work for me:

• Call / be called
  • Send SMS / receive SMS
  • Notification LED
  • Alarm
  • Internet via Wi-Fi
  • Internet via mobile network
  • Wi-Fi hotspot
    • Settings - System - microG - Self-Check: all ok, including location permissions
    • Settings - System - microG - Location - Wi-Fi location - Request from Mozilla: enabled
    • Settings - System - microG - Location - Wi-Fi location - Request from Hotspot: enabled
    • Settings - System - microG - Location - Wi-Fi location - Remember from GPS: enabled
    • Settings - System - microG - Location - Mobile network location - Request from Mozilla: enabled
    • Settings - System - microG - Location - Mobile network location - Remember from GPS: enabled
    • Settings - Advanced Privacy - Location: Exposed
    • Settings - Advanced Privacy - Manage my location: Use my real location
    • Settings - Location - Location Services - Wi-Fi scanning: enabled
    • Settings - Location - Location Services - Bluetooth scanning: disabled
    • Settings - Location - App location permissions - “Allowed only while in use”: Apps are listed
  • Compass
  • Screenshot
  • Main camera (original FP3 Camera module, not +) photo + video
  • Selfie camera (original FP3 Top module, not +) photo + video
  • USB connection to PC / MTP
  • MyPhoneExplorer 2.1
  • Bluetooth (music playback, data connection)
1 Like

Device name: Fairphone 2
Device CodeName: FP2
Version of /e/OS or Stock which existed previously: /e/OS 1.19.1-r-20240110372392-dev-FP2
Is the device Rooted / Not rooted: Not rooted

No issue with updating, now on 1.20-r-20240221382014-dev-FP2.

The following things work for me:

• Call / be called
  • Send SMS / receive SMS
  • Alarm
  • Internet via Wi-Fi
  • Internet via mobile network
  • Wi-Fi hotspot
    • Settings - System - Advanced - microG - Self-Check: all ok, including location permissions
    • Settings - System - Advanced - microG - Location - Wi-Fi location - Request from Mozilla: enabled
    • Settings - System - Advanced - microG - Location - Wi-Fi location - Request from Hotspot: enabled
    • Settings - System - Advanced - microG - Location - Wi-Fi location - Remember from GPS: enabled
    • Settings - System - Advanced - microG - Location - Mobile network location - Request from Mozilla: enabled
    • Settings - System - Advanced - microG - Location - Mobile network location - Remember from GPS: enabled
    • Settings - Advanced Privacy - Location: Exposed
    • Settings - Advanced Privacy - Manage my location: Use my real location
    • Settings - Location - Wi-Fi and Bluetooth scanning - Wi-Fi scanning: enabled
    • Settings - Location - Wi-Fi and Bluetooth scanning - Bluetooth scanning: disabled
    • Settings - Location - App access to location - “Allowed only while in use”: Apps are listed
  • Compass
  • Screenshot
  • Main camera (Camera module 12 MP version 2) photo + video
  • Selfie camera (Top module version 2) photo + video
    (Camera records completely black video from the moment surrounding light is too dark or changes into too dark when moving … years old issue I already had with Open Camera on LineageOS, can live with it.)
  • USB connection to PC / MTP
  • MyPhoneExplorer 2.1
  • Bluetooth (music playback, data connection)

What a lovely spring clean!
It’s a great start to the new year.
My update went smoothly and quickly. I made sure that the screen didn’t go dark during the installation (standby?). I had the impression that this made it run faster than when the screen was dark.
Thanks for the great work. redfin

Indeed I still wonder why this isn’t automatic be done before an OTA update starts. Nobody needs an update time of more than a whole hour.

I would wonder how much more battery the quick way (keeping the screen on) would really use, if any, before making this the default way.
But then again I wouldn’t want to invest the odd hour and change to find out :slight_smile: .

The only thing needed would be a checkbox on the update page, “let the screen on”. Then the user could test this and decide himself. A rather simple thing.

1 Like

Thank you for taking up my suggestion. It is indeed surprising from the user’s point of view. An options popup should appear before the installation, with the recommendation to temporarily suspend standby during the update. This should certainly be a useful enhancement suggestion for the wish list here in the forum. Thanks.