Feedback for v1.20

Looking at the ROMs published for Galaxy S10+ https://images.ecloud.global/dev/beyond2lte/ we see that the final Android 12 (S) was e-1.19.1-s and that your next build now will be e-1.20-t, Android 13 (T) so a manual Upgrade will be required (no OTA Upgrades on dev builds).

Android (T) upgrades should need no Format data and no ā€œReturn to stock ROMā€ just adb sideload as this [Guide]. Always take a back up of essentials first.

Fairphone 5 /FP5
1.20-t-20240220382010-stable-FP5
Regularly bought via Murena. Not rooted

ā€œSmooth displayā€ feature (90Hz) makes bliss launcher crash regularly once a day at random. It looks like the phone is rebooting, but uptime is the same.

Today it crashed and displayed the bootloader the first time.

With 60Hz setting no crash, or with 90Hz and KISS launcher no crash.

1 Like

My KISS crashes. Whatā€™s the german name of this feature so I can try out other settings?

HeiƟt auch auf dt. Smooth Display (unter den display Einstellungen). Wenn du ein FP5 oder ein GerƤt mit 90Hz Display hast. Featurevgibtsvauch noch nicht lange und hatte schon einige bugs.

Same for my S10 Beyond1lte

@Blank_Space @centaurus Update from 1.19.1-s to 1.20-t on beyond2lte
that helped me. :wink:

How can I file a bug report related to v1.20 in GitLab? I have not find how I can create an account - when I tried I was not allowed to create one with my e-mail address. Or where/how can I request a bug report to be created?

Support topic: Getting an error message in new ID creation on /e/OS Gitlab?

1 Like

Yes, it does not like my e-mail. Ref this snapshot. How do they (or myself) know which is my regular e-mail? In the form, it states something like they recommend a business e-mail, but I use (of course) one of my personal e-mails. https://gitlab.e.foundation
gitlab

@hehemrin, my response is a link! Please just follow the recommended path to ask for help.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: Sorry, I didnā€™t read the link first time. Now I sent the account request, thanks!

Vendor Name: Google
Device name: Pixel 4
Device CodeName:flame
Previous Version of /e/OS: 1.19-s (dev)
Rooted: False

Iā€™ved noticed that despite setting the app store to only use Wifi for downloads, that they have been taking place over my 4G connection. I have controld.com set up as a private VPN and also use TC slim - Iā€™m unsure if either of these in combination could be leading to the problem.

Update otherwise works perfectly.

Vendor Name: Gigaset
Device Name: GS 290
1.20-s-20240220382012-stable-GS290
Previous Version of /e/OS: 1.19.1-s
not rooted
Update often canceled during Installation. All functions given.
All the Time on the Phone was Bliss Launcher, since 1.20 additional Trebuchet.
Battery life is fine,with moderate use, up to four days running time.
Except in the status bar, the Battery display shows constantly 0%.
Deeper into the battery settings it is ok and shows the right percentage.

Thanks cemol71 - that did the trick. I am now on 1.20 T - it seems to be a bit laggy (slower operation).

But I still wonder about the developersā€™ reasons behind not providing this version upgrade via OTA (the R to S upgrade was provided via OTA for my phone).

The truth is the large majority of the (potential) /e/OS user base is non-technical. They struggled through the initial /e/OS installation (or asked a friend to do it for them), in the idea that it was a one-off. But if this becomes a regular thing (all version upgrades for most phone models will not be provided as OTA), I see many people losing interest in /e/OS very fast.

One change Iā€™ve noticed is that since the upgrade to 1.20T, the phone call screen doesnā€™t show anymore (incoming calls or ongoing calls screen goes into the notifications bar by default, rather than being in the foreground by default).

Does anybody know if this is expected behaviour?

Trebuchet (the launcher inherited from LineageOS) was always there, as /e/OS still relies on it for some basic functions, if I remember correctly.
Are you seeing it now in a place you didnā€™t see it before? If so, where?

OTA upgrades to new underlying Android versions done in a responsible manner need serious development and testing time and effort invested in a single device for a single upgrade step. With limited resources the developers will need to carefully choose where to invest that time and effort, you can follow proceedings in the weekly Development and Testing Updates ā€¦ https://community.e.foundation/tag/development-updates ā€¦ currently in section ā€œOS OTA related informationā€.

This is indeed curious, since I donā€™t find it announced, and I only find mentions of manual upgrades in the forum, even mentioning some necessary updating of the stock firmware being involved. I donā€™t have the device, so I donā€™t really know.
If itā€™s not just me not finding it, it might have been a hiccup or misconfiguration on the update server side. If it worked out well for you nonetheless, weā€™ll take it, I suppose. Even with officially prepared OTA upgrades not every user is this lucky, they are tricky to do regardless of the device or OS.

This has been and still is the situation, and I guess it will not change without either an army of developers on /e/OSā€™s side which likely will not arrive anytime soon, or with Androidā€™s basic functioning changed in a way Iā€™m not sure is even possible.

The chance to get OTA upgrades will be much higher when choosing a phone Murena sell (or sold) themselves. This just needs to be communicated so that interested users are aware before taking the plunge.

1 Like

It is interesting to hear you say that, as Iā€™ve just upgraded my S7 edge 3 days ago (it was on 1.17 Q) and it offered me 1.20 R, via OTA (and the upgrade was successful, with no issues on the new version).

S7 Edge is hero2lte.

The problem is almost all the phones Murena have chosen to sell are ā€œnicheā€ phones - ok if you live in Europe or US, but very difficult to get and almost impossible to support in many parts of the world.

I was hopeful when they started with the refurbished Samsung S9, but obviously the idea of continuing to sell/support Samsungs was ditched, and unless they decide to increase support for at least one of the mainstream brands (currently they only support one Google phone and no other major brands), this pathway is a no-go for me (I donā€™t live either in US or EU).