Fingerprinting attemp on /e/OS webpage

Hi
/e/OS talking a lot about data privacy. I installed the Firefox addon “Canvas Fingerprint Defender” today. The addon is reporting a fingerprinting attemp when I visit the /e/OS webpage. Not really what I would expect from a company where data protection should be a selling point. Can someone explain this?
fingerprint

Corono

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

I would consider this a false positive.
Canvas fingerprinting uses data provided by your browser to ensure the website is optimally displayed (color optimizations, specialized text rendering engines, etc.).
They can be used for fingerprinting, or just to do what they are intended to.
While I think /e/ does the latter, it is good you ask, and someone from the team should clarify.

1 Like

Pl raise this as an issue in Gitlab where it can be assigned to a dev who can check and update.

1 Like

There are legitimate uses for information provided by the browser that may trigger those warnings. For anyone who sees this post and is interested in knowing more about it, the blog post linked below does an excellent job at explaining what browser fingerprint is, how it works, how some extensions try to counter it and also how anti-fingerpriting extensions tend to make fingerprinting easier.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.