I just installed /e/OS on my Fairphone 2 this weekend.
- Installation was very straightforward. I had been using LineageOS previously so I already had TWRP.
- Kudos to the development team for solving the problems that required OpenGApps, like Location Services and the Play Store. It’s amazing and delightful to be able to install my phone without these, thank you!
- Almost all of the apps I needed were in the /e/ App store. I love the value-added feature of having a privacy rating for each app. Also really good to have apps from F-Droid and Play Store in one place. Installing the apps was a snap.
- A couple of apps were not in the /e/ store, but thanks to Aurora I was able to install those as well: two banking apps and the Oxford-Hachette French dictionary app (paid-for version, to disable ads and allow offline use). I subsequently requested the banking apps through the App store so hopefully they will be there soon.
I am really happy with my new phone OS, it feels like a significant upgrade. Thanks again guys, I will make a contribution to the project.
I did have a couple of minor issues:
Bliss Launcher seemed buggy. Each time I swiped away from the home page and swiped back, the space for the widgets got smaller (bottom widgets were cropped). Eventually they would disappear from the screen entirely. A reboot reset them to full-screen but then the same thing happened again. Also the weather widget did not work. I put in my API key and it said it would verify it at the next weather update, which never happened.
In the end I decided I didn’t really like Bliss anyway. I was used to Trebuchet from LineageOS and I found the Bliss screens too cluttered with apps I don’t really need. After scanning this forum I decided to replace it with KISS which is rapidly growing on me.
Centr app is in the /e/ store but so far I was unable to get it to work. The app starts but when I type my login credentials it gives its famous “Oops, we dropped a dumbbell” message. It would be nice to get this working but it’s no deal-breaker as all of the content is available through the website.
- Is there a way to list all installed apps which were not installed through the app store? It’s possible to go through the list in settings one-by-one and see if the app was installed by Apps or Aurora but it would be better to get a list by installer. Use case: if an app installed with Aurora becomes available in Apps it would be better to reinstall the app from Apps to get updates. Even nicer if you could be automatically notified when an already-installed app becomes available in the App store.
I think that’s about it for now!