Fluidity of screen movement, with fix

When scrolling in menus, on websites and in games I’ve found the display to be incredibly choppy, likened to low fps. It was so choppy I was sure something was wrong. Swyping was slow and laggy. Essentially it made the phone feel very sluggish like it couldn’t keep up.

2021 version 2e on 1.0-q.

Enabling “Disable HW overlays” in Developer mode made it smooth as silk. It also made it where Night Light would work properly as well. I have to re-enable this after every reboot.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for that. My Teracube emerald is also laggy, jerky, stuttery. Now also “smoove as buttah”. :grin:

Hi @imatt ,
Thanks for this. I have a T2e first batch and though the screen was not incredibly choppy (and I don’t play games), it is noticeably more fluid now. Additionally, the Night Light started working just as you say
So now that we know how to fix something by pushing a few buttons, I was wondering if anybody “in the know” (the /e/ people…) would be kind enough to look at this and possibly provide some sort of an explanation as to the underlying mechanism (or maybe get it on the list of To-Dos). Is it possible to make this setting stick across reboots?
Cheers:
UB

Another thing I do is in Developer Options:
Window animation scale: Animation off
Transition animation scale: Animation off
Animator duration scale: Animation off

@imatt
I just updated /e/OS to 1.1 R today on the emerald. UX seems much smoother now. So far I haven’t needed to use the workaround. I’ll see if stays smooth for the current battery cycle.
The forum is choppy but then again I access it via WebApps mostly.

1.1q on 2e update.
Works smoothly for a while, but then you need to flip the overlay switch in Dev options. Haven’t been able to determine the timeframe or trigger for when it “stops working.”