FP3 + encryption

I read somewhere the /e/OS on FP3 is encrypted by default. Does this mean i would not able to log into TWRP because i don’t know the key?

2 Likes

I guess it will act like any other encrypted phone without password or PIN : it will automatically be decrypted. Though I don’t have this phone so I can’t confirm this.

When the bootloader is locked, I think you can’t even boot to TWRP.
And when you unlock the bootloader that will wipe all data, so maybe also the encryption?

Are you sure? Wouldn’t that mean there’s no way to do a full system backup before an OS upgrade?

I’m not exactly sure because the FP3 is my first treble A/B device and all the fastboot and adb handling is differing so much from what I’m used to with the FP2. But I can try a few things :wink:

$ fastboot boot twrp-3.3.1-0_k4y0z-20200202-02-fp3.img
Sending 'boot.img' (28690 KB)                      OKAY [  0.928s]
Booting                                            FAILED (remote: 'unlock device to use this command')
fastboot: error: Command failed

So as I expected, with a locked bootloader I can’t just boot TWRP.

By default, the FP3 uses a Lineage Recovery. And I don’t see any backup option there.

During the beta testing I once tried to unlock the bootloader and see if I can keep my data (that was when an OTA update was broken and I thought that might be related to the locked state of the bootloader).
The unlock command alone led me to a bootloop where I ended up in the Lineage recovery that stated something was wrong and I could either try again or do a factory reset. Trying again a couple of times didn’t help, so I ended up doing the factory reset, thus wiping the data.

Right now I’m having trouble accessing the FP3 in recovery mode via adb. The command fails saying the device is unauthorized even though I allowed my computer to access the FP3 after enabling USB debugging. And when /e/ is booted the adb command does work.

That’s my experience, but maybe someone else has more information.

5 Likes

Thanks a lot! Then w/e/ urgently need a strategy to obtain complete full system backups.

That’s actually safe when you can’t flash/ boot TWRP. Reason is asked is, i like to delete system apps, and push a new hosts file to the phone, but i guess that’s also possible when /e/OS is booted (remount system). Thx for your investigation :ok_hand:

Has anyone succeeded with adb in the stock recovery?
My bootloader is locked, adb works when the normal /e/ is running, but it claims the device is “unauthorized” as soon as I boot up the stock recovery.

Found this here … have a look at Troubleshooting - adb devices shows the device, but in unauthorized state.

https://github.com/LineageOS/android_bootable_recovery

It seems to me the recovery would have to be built with Option 2 in place to allow adb, which seems to not be the case currently.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.