FP3 : I get data only on cellular, no wifi [RESOLVED]


I’m using /e/ since some years now.
I’ve bought a Fairphone 3 recently that worked great.


I moved out, from a city to another city.
I changed my Internet provider (France : Bouygues Telecom -> Free).

Since that: on wifi, many apps won’t work and fail at getting data.
Passing to cellular fixes it, though where I am I get 0.3Mb/s which is frustrating. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Apps that work only on cellular since that provider switch:

  • Discord
  • Twitch
  • Signal

Is there some setting I can manage or something?


I have no immediate solution, but the provider name Bouygues comes up from time to time, so there might be something in the search …



1 Like

Bouygues is my former provider, now I am with Free. :slight_smile:

Ah, I misread that as if Free would be a reseller running on Bouygues’s network. Sorry.

1 Like

Haha, no problem, I do appreciate your help anyway. :slight_smile:

Did you try to reset your wifi-connection? Otherwise I think the problem lies with your router/modem and not with your phone…

1 Like

Reset my wifi-connection? What do you mean by that?

:arrow_right: Another Android phone and Android tablet works just fine.
:arrow_right: Everything else on wifi, included an Android TV, works great.

My modem seems fine.

I suspect:

  • a setting to set on my phone.
  • a compatibility issue with my FP3 and the modem wifi chipset.
  • an anomalie in e OS as, even before with my former Internet supplyer, FP3 wifi was weird once e installed : switching the wifi from the home menu would activate the wifi but would not connect, I always need to go to settings > wifi to connect to a modem.

Ho, another fact maybe interesting: other apps works fine both on wifi and cellular like Twitter, Protonmail or Slack.

Probably Settings - System - Advanced - Reset options - Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth.


Ok, I wasn’t optimistic at all.
But it worked!

Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:


I had this problem too.

It seemed to coincide with changing the DNS configuration. If I set it to (Mullvad tracker blocker it would disable the wifi’s internet connection, in that it would connect but there would be no internet.

Changing it to (Quad 9) gets the internet to return.

I have no idea why this happens. It’s possible that I’m using it incorrectly but in-case someone has a similar issue, this may be a possible solution.

I think it is sensible to revive this old thread since I had the same problem very recently (WiFi showed connected but would only send a trickle of data) and fixed it by doing the above, with nothing else.

This problem was with a fresh unlock & installation of /e/ version 1.2 on a Teracube 2e 2021 model. On an excellent WiFi connection would take 4 hours on each attempt to download the monthly OTA update and every time it broke off many times & yielded a corrupted file.

There must have been something in the default WiFi or maybe DNS settings that made WiFi unusable… perhaps fixed in /e/ version 1.4 out this week :sunglasses::pray: